Chameleon cage

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knot Competent

Established Member
Reaction score
OK, this isn't exactly woodworking, but I know many of you have broader experience than just with the one material, and I have no metalwork experience at all (apart from bending the odd car or two!).

I need to make a door and frame from either extruded aluminium or PVC for the front of a glassfibre chameleon cage. I expect to use 25mm x 25mm or similar box section, total door size about 30" x 25". I'd prefer to cut lengths of tube and join them with corner pieces, but I've been told that if I mitre the corners I could silver-solder the joints.

Does anyone know of a supplier of tube and fittings, and can anyone offer any advice please?

Regards, John. Definitely Knot Competent in this field!

Our local Homebase DIY store in Bracknell has an extruded metal and PVC section where you can buy short lengths (I believe 1m) of various profiles. That would seem to suit your needs.

Andrew

Knot Competent":1ok6w2nq said:
from either extruded aluminium or PVC ............. but I've been told that if I mitre the corners I could silver-solder the joints.

You cannot silver-solder PVC or aluminium. With the right equipment they both can be welded, but not to each other :roll:

Knot Competent beware as welding Aluminium takes a very steady hand and careful control of the welding torch. PVC welding can be carried out with a gas powered soldering iron, fitted with a hot air blower. The flame will burn the surface, I know this from repairing the occasional kayak.
If you used 1" box section which you can buy from Axminster Tools, you can make the corners by inserting (with a hammer) corner joints also stocked by axminster. I have used the to make machine guards and furniture for industrial use.

Bean

Thanks Bean, just what I was after. By coincidence, my first Axminster catalogue arrived yesterday, but I've been too busy to do more than look for a good saw table fence. I was going to browse at the weekend, but SWMBO has other plans for me!

My first post was ambiguous, but I wasn't going to attempt silver soldering PVC. I do SOME silly things, but not THAT silly! I thought it more likely that PVC corner fittings would be readily available, or that I could superglue mitred corners together.

Thanks again. Regards, John

I've searched the Axminster catalogue from cover to cover in a vain search for the elusive square section aluminium tubing that Bean said was there, but from a phone call to them I learned they've never stocked it. Bean, could you please rack your brain to remember where you saw it? And preferably with fittings to match?

Regards, John

Did I say Aluminium ?? :oops: No its steel, painted black and in 1" section with knock in fittings to match.
Your right though Its not in the axminster book, I will search my other books and let you know.

Bean

Woodshavings I see that we have come to the same conclusion. I was not axminster :oops: (see my previous post) but RS, on the website.

Bean

Thanks, Bean and Woodshaving. I was hoping you'd come up with a cheaper supplier than RS! Still, better than none, eh?
Regards, John

Back