challenge - using nitrous oxide litter

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannyr

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm sure you have seen those little NO2 bottles (usually silver/chrome about 60mm long 20mm diam) littering some darker corners of our world --- these are used as some kind of 'recreational' stimulant ('laughing gas' - med students used to misuse it)

I have sawn a couple up for use as file handle ferrules, I know of an artist collecting for a project.

I would think the tapered end could be adapted as a good ferrule for an awl or marking knife.

Shows how innocent I am, the only use I ever thought they had was for CO2 for making your own lemonade lol.
"You know of an artist collecting for a project," not sure really what you’re suggesting or asking?

Here in the US, small cartridges are usually for BB guns. I've seen the small nitrous cartridges used to race things with small engines, though.

Not sure I ever thought that people would breathe it. (there's literally an NOS energy drink here, which I'm guessing is aimed at people who race cars, and not at huffers).

In the old days, the BB gun spent cartridges were also all over the place. From people shooting pellets or BBs. never saw them reused or had the gumption to bust one (For fear that they were full).

(those were CO2)

CO2 air guns here use similar but your best bet would be to find someone that likes to use the reusable spray whip cream bottles with the cartridges.

They are okay as a small file handle (nice shape) but because the tang is held only at the neck they can come loose or wobble. You can cut them for tool ferules but keep in mind they are made of plated steel and can rust accordingly. The whip cream type are stainless steel.

Pete

I was at a craft show and someone had sawn the valve ends off and put used them as light holders (using small LED bulbs and holders). I've seen a chandelier made from them too !

When I see them I tend to pick them up and out them in to the waste recycling. I never thought I might be able to do something to reuse them. Keep the ideas coming.

Ive used the co2 equivalent to make moderators for air pistols. To small for a rifle.
I have a few that are a tad larger that are for tyre inflation but rarely needed to use one.

I think CO2 cartridges are aluminium.

I once picked up a load of empty NO2/nitrous oxide/laughing gas cartridges dumped on a roadside, they seemed very strong so, yes, must be some kind of steel. I've always wondered what they could be used for. They're sold as "cream chargers" for whipping up cream.

I can promise you that they are not. Or at least the ones i use arent. They are 1.2mm steel wall.

Latest posts

Back