Challenge - 18th century transport box design and materials?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OP - another way to look at this is to consider how much the box can cost to produce before your product becomes unaffordable. This will be quite dependent on the number of these you plan to produce/sell. If you are able to buy them in bulk, you can probably get them for similar prices to those wine boxes. A few pounds wholesale. If you are buying or making smaller numbers, it is going to cost you considerably more or take considerable time to produce them. Is you product sufficiently profitable (and expensive) to absorb this cost?
Yes, I have some costings from a good while ago. Will dig them out.

So if I got a company to for example laser cut ply what quantity of an order would such companies look for?

whilst nice packaging is a bonus, as a customer I'd not want to pay extra for something that then goes in a bin. It would not add to the value of the item in my mind, only the cost.

Off topic but related, I've been looking a lot at another ongoing thread (one of many on a recurring theme) on which Drill and Impact driver twin pack is the best choice, lots of opinions, often conflicting but generally what people value is build quality, reliability, aftercare, but little to no talk about what box things come in. And in terms of tools I personally think there is real value in the right case, you only need to look at the cost of of storage systems like tstak, systainer, packout etc. Point being, it doesn't seem to be a significant factor in people's choces at all.

If I was buying plants I would care greatly about the quality of the stock, the advice and aftercare advice available, but as long as the plants got to me undamaged, I would put no value in what box it came in, it certainly wouldn't make me come back again just because the box was nice.

With that said, if I was sending a gift to someone else, I might be prepared to pay a small amount extra to have it presented well, but that would be an optional extra.

whilst nice packaging is a bonus, as a customer I'd not want to pay extra for something that then goes in a bin. It would not add to the value of the item in my mind, only the cost.

Off topic but related, I've been looking a lot at another ongoing thread (one of many on a recurring theme) on which Drill and Impact driver twin pack is the best choice, lots of opinions, often conflicting but generally what people value is build quality, reliability, aftercare, but little to no talk about what box things come in. And in terms of tools I personally think there is real value in the right case, you only need to look at the cost of of storage systems like tstak, systainer, packout etc. Point being, it doesn't seem to be a significant factor in people's choces at all.

If I was buying plants I would care greatly about the quality of the stock, the advice and aftercare advice available, but as long as the plants got to me undamaged, I would put no value in what box it came in, it certainly wouldn't make me come back again just because the box was nice.

With that said, if I was sending a gift to someone else, I might be prepared to pay a small amount extra to have it presented well, but that would be an optional extra.

Nice packing can become a thing in itself. I use the box that my LN shooting plane came in as a bits and pieces box. It’s nice enough that my wife actually likes it in the house.

When I read this post it struck a chord, Im quite intrested in historical navel stories, Patrick OBrian is a favourite, but I recently read an account of Capt Blighs fatefull voyages and there was something there about special cases for transporting specimin plants,,,these might not help you but if your intrested in the subject generally you might want to follow up.
The main name is Ellis, big plant transporter in the 17/18thcentuary, maybe a link below to a contemporary examples, the ones I saw were glazed and more like a mini greenhouse.
1616934760855.jpeg
1616934760855.jpeg

Nice packing can become a thing in itself. I use the box that my LN shooting plane came in as a bits and pieces box. It’s nice enough that my wife actually likes it in the house.
I agree, I have all sorts of boxes and tins that get regular reuse, I find it ironic that in these more environmentally aware times packaging is generally so lightweight it has to be thrown away. I guess that was my point, either provide a substantial box that will have an ongoing purpose or just put in cardboard / straw / eggbox that does it's job and then gets recycled or composted.

cardboard is definitely the most practical material and there's a reason it took over wooden boxes, it's the low weight and low cost, you can also get much higher quality cardboard thesedays that's thicker and stronger, I would be contacting companies that do it, if it really must be plywood then I'd get in touch with a joinery business who can make so many for a price and get them to veneer the plywood as well with real wood, it won't be cheap though.

My value is my botanical background and the associated knowledge. Therefore i am trying to build a value added, authentic story.

So i agree with you to a degree, however i need to be convinced that a product that is on your spectrum will achieve what i am trying to do. So work with me, add some substance that is convincing and that clearly demonstrates inherent value. Otherwise I am just like anyone else who sticks a plant in a cardboard box.

I think you should switch focus from the box - from other replies, nicely decorated cardboard could do the job better.

Have you considered a suitably decorated and printed booklet which tells your story? This is something the recipient might keep, rather than throwing away. Good design isn't cheap, but modern print on demand technology makes small volume production pretty economical I believe.

Hi all, sorry only seeing the posts now.

I have been watching all day and came to the conclusion that everyone takes a break on Sunday. Though I see now I was just pressing the wrong buttons. Sorry all!!!

TheUnicorn - you hit the nail on the head. I am not just shipping plants. It is intended to be a luxury botanical gift discovered in the mountains of China, shipped all the way back to you as the upperclass recipient. Remember at this time in history only the elite could entertain this gift. Not simply a plant but also the expedition detail and and discovery information.

With these detail Unicorn - does is alter your impression?? or maybe not?

Thats the pitch

When I read this post it struck a chord, Im quite intrested in historical navel stories, Patrick OBrian is a favourite, but I recently read an account of Capt Blighs fatefull voyages and there was something there about special cases for transporting specimin plants,,,these might not help you but if your intrested in the subject generally you might want to follow up.
The main name is Ellis, big plant transporter in the 17/18thcentuary, maybe a link below to a contemporary examples, the ones I saw were glazed and more like a mini greenhouse.
View attachment 107027View attachment 107027
Yes Steve - you are on the ball!!

Thats the concept that I am trying to replicate but under modern systems.

Any ideas?

I agree, I have all sorts of boxes and tins that get regular reuse, I find it ironic that in these more environmentally aware times packaging is generally so lightweight it has to be thrown away. I guess that was my point, either provide a substantial box that will have an ongoing purpose or just put in cardboard / straw / eggbox that does it's job and then gets recycled or composted.
Like the ongoing purpose concept. Should I put a few pictures up to show what i have found around the world? would that help idea generation??

I think you should switch focus from the box - from other replies, nicely decorated cardboard could do the job better.

Have you considered a suitably decorated and printed booklet which tells your story? This is something the recipient might keep, rather than throwing away. Good design isn't cheap, but modern print on demand technology makes small volume production pretty economical I believe.
You kn ProfChris, I have spent so much time on this you could be right. BUT - its a big BUT - I understand why cardboard ticks many boxes, but it does not differentiate me - I am the same as others, in fact it lowers the value I bring (humbly stated) to no more than somone in their shed with a plant and a box - so struggling on this point. Is cardboard authentic for the gift I intend to generate????

Your booklet idea - great - done some building on this - not a booklet but documentation that I hope I could build into the box in some way?

Thoughts??

Hi All,

So in the attached PDF are a number of 'similar' products. some wood some cardboard.

this may help you get the feel of what I am trying to achieve.

t

Attachments

• Pictures of containers.pdf
    501.2 KB · Views: 18
Thomas, I'm not meaning to be rude here but I'm just not on the same page as you on this, I'm sorry.

Say I've received one of your plants, it comes in a nice box, pleasant enough, open the box, take out the plant, now what? I've got a box, that maybe I could use for something else, If I happen to have something of suitable dimensions and weight, if I can't use it then it goes in the bin, and I've essentially paid for that box, and you've wasted my money, and my lasting memory of your company is negative. Scenario 2, I get your plant in a functional cardboard box, with plenty of info, care advice, a bit of feed and some dehydrated compost, there is nothing in scenario 2 that I could complain about, if the plant is good, advice is good etc, I'll buy more and/or recomend your company.

If I want a nice box I'll seek one out in the size and style I want

Thomas, I'm not meaning to be rude here but I'm just not on the same page as you on this, I'm sorry.

Say I've received one of your plants, it comes in a nice box, pleasant enough, open the box, take out the plant, now what? I've got a box, that maybe I could use for something else, If I happen to have something of suitable dimensions and weight, if I can't use it then it goes in the bin, and I've essentially paid for that box, and you've wasted my money, and my lasting memory of your company is negative. Scenario 2, I get your plant in a functional cardboard box, with plenty of info, care advice, a bit of feed and some dehydrated compost, there is nothing in scenario 2 that I could complain about, if the plant is good, advice is good etc, I'll buy more and/or recomend your company.

If I want a nice box I'll seek one out in the size and style I want
Essentially if it is would, you are buying into the journey and experience of botanical discovery in a distant land but have it delivered to your door. You are paying for novelty.

A plant in a cardboard box is nothing special and not uncommon.

So what can I take from your post? Is it this - a cheap, lightweight wooden box that is more or less disposable.

Alternatively bin whole wood idea and go cardboard.

Open to all suggestions. Have to face the facts now.

Ps. Do you have a wife? 90% of purchasers are female. Ask her if she would like a nice romantic antique styled presentation box to present the outstanding story and heritage of a given specimen OR a nicely styled cheaper cardboard box that will be binned. (Now I am trying to be impartial here! :)

I thought you guys would all be pushing me down the wood track. What's happening...... :)

Everyone - let's just call it!!! Am I barking up the wrong tree, is wood solution WRONG???

If you think you know your market well enough and are confident that the packaging will add to the value, fair enough. I know that it would put me off if anything, but I'm obviously not the market.

back on topic, I would assume that packaging companies would have a myriad of options available, it all comes down to how many units you are moving as to whether that is a worthwhile option for you

Essentially if it is would, you are buying into the journey and experience of botanical discovery in a distant land but have it delivered to your door. You are paying for novelty.

A plant in a cardboard box is nothing special and not uncommon.

So what can I take from your post? Is it this - a cheap, lightweight wooden box that is more or less disposable.

Alternatively bin whole wood idea and go cardboard.

Open to all suggestions. Have to face the facts now.

Ps. Do you have a wife? 90% of purchasers are female. Ask her if she would like a nice romantic antique styled presentation box to present the outstanding story and heritage of a given specimen OR a nicely styled cheaper cardboard box that will be binned. (Now I am trying to be impartial here! :)

I thought you guys would all be pushing me down the wood track. What's happening...... :)

Everyone - let's just call it!!! Am I barking up the wrong tree, is wood solution WRONG???
My wife is a keen botanical fanatic and certainly in the right demographic for this kind of product. Her main concerns are sustainability and recyclability of anything in the packaging and product. Despite the fact that I like the idea of a wooden box she most definitely would consider it over packaging and contribution to the death of the planet. As much as I like it I think you might be barking up the wrong tree.

Here is what one company says about their wooden box selection. WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS??

OUR PACKAGING
Lovingly Prepared & Packaged
Our gifts all come lovingly packaged in our boxes, and there is more to it all than meets the eye! You may think it odd that we send trees in wooden boxes. So we’ve explained it all below, so you can feel even better about sending one of our gifts.
About Our Boxes
Firstly – our boxes are made from sustainable pine, and New Zealand is fortunate to have a growing volume of plantation forest estates available for harvest. The availability of New Zealand Pine makes it a sustainable and renewable resource, and an attractive and acceptable alternative to timber species from the world’s dwindling natural forests. We chose wood over other products for a few reasons:
  • Protection (to prevent all the in-transit bumps and bangs from damaging the baby tree)
  • Uniqueness (we’re all about being a little bit different…)
  • Sustainability (keep reading for ways to re-use our boxes)
  • Visual (they look amazing!)
Secondly, our boxes are designed to be re-used in a number of ways:
  • They can be lined with plastic and used as effective seed or seedling planters for veges or herbs (instructions are included in all our gifts).
  • Storage boxes – for stationery, kids art products, books – the list is endless!
  • Pack-away storage – layer newspaper / paper between the items that you want to store to allow the air to circulate.
  • Or, if none of the above suit – the wood in the box can be broken down and used as kindling for the fire.
  • were the first company to produce and sell the different tree boxes that you see in our store. Our custom-made boxes were purpose-designed to keep our trees safe in transit, and provide a two-in-one gift.
Other parts of our Packaging
Woodwool
You may ask – what on earth is woodwool? Basically it is where off-cuts of wood are shaved off and end up as cute little shaving curls. It’s fantastic for keeping loose items secure, but more importantly, it can also be re-used in a multitude of ways:
  • Layer on the garden and it will decompose
  • Use around the base of plants (i.e. strawberries) to keep nasty bugs / slugs away and the fruit clean
  • Layer in the compost
  • Use for pet bedding (hamsters, guinea pigs, rabbits
  • Or just throw it on the garden for the birds to take away and build their nests with.
  • Finally, if none of the above appeal – you can roll woodwool into balls to help create a roaring fire.
Packing Material
When we send out corporate orders, our trees get sent in cardboard boxes. Where possible, we re-use packing received from our suppliers, or if there is none available we use recycled options

Back