Chair repair

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodyfxr

Established Member
Reaction score
I found an old rocking chair in a skip, well i rescued it and have dismantelled it. It had been left out in all weathers and is in very bad condition, the seat has plsit into five different bits, the varnish is flaking and falling off. On a closer look the chair is made of oak.
As i said i dismantelled, three of the back spindles broke but that is no problem. My question is i have rough cleaned the seat parts and glues then together using biscuits. Unfortunatley dur to twisting and bowing there are small gaps.
Can someone recommend a good filler for these small gaps. I am not looking for perfection as the chair really is in a bad way. I just want to put it back together and oil it as i think the wood will suck that up like blotting paper it is so dry.

Ultimatley i want to give it to my Son and his girlfriend as i know they are thinking of starting a family

1mm to 2mm, but there are many little splits that i doubt will be able to fill as they are so small, 0.2mm

If you really do want to use a filler, I've found Polycell Woodflex Polyfilla very good when I've used it under paint for general decorating repairs, and I think you can get it in light brown as well as white. But if you have long narrow gaps you'd get a better result by cutting some tapered strips of wood, wiping a little glue on either side, and then gently tapping them into the cracks. When the glue has dried, plane and sand back to the surface.

As Andy said the wider ones I would stick some wood in to them. But the smaller ones I would leave. I'm sure it adds to the character of the piece.
Teckel

Thanks for the replys, i will make a strip and glue it in, cheers.
I was hoping that once the wood has had a couple of coats of oil that it would close the small ones up.
It is cleaning up quite well except for the water stains, even some of those fade after a bit of sanding. I can't understand why someone would leave an oak rocker in the garden !!!!
I had a go at the legs this morning, it really needs a lathe to spin them to make a good job. I have always shied away from wood lathes, being an engineer by trade to have to hold the cutting bit really goes against the grain. For me that would be an accident that will happen, well in my head anyway.

Back