Chair rebuild.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swb58

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't remember where this seat base came from but I've never seen it with anything other than sawn off legs and back. At one time I was going to turn it into some sort of platter but because it's warped badly the size and thickness of a finished article would have to be reduced from the original dimensions.

So I've decided to make a chair out of it once again.

The legs seem pretty straightforward once I decide on the height. But I'm having trouble visualizing what the back is supposed to look like. The line of the 6 small spindles seems to be a lot steeper than the two large outers and the point where they coincide would be too low to mount the horizontal back rest.

Any ideas about how the back might have looked originally? I'm thinking it may have had a hoop back on it (which I wouldn't go mad on recreating :oops: )
DSC01555.jpg

DSC01562.jpg

swb58":3vn0xxt6 said:
The legs seem pretty straightforward once I decide on the height. But I'm having trouble visualizing what the back is supposed to look like. The line of the 6 small spindles seems to be a lot steeper than the two large outers and the point where they coincide would be too low to mount the horizontal back rest.

Perhaps the smaller spindles were bent backward, so as to provide some sort of lumbar support ?

Thanks for the replies and the images, that's another two styles to add to my list of possibilities . . . more features for a pick and mix selection.

Haven't had a chance to do more working out of angles for the back, but yes, I think there must have been a bend there somewhere. I know It's not a valuable antique I'm restoring but I think it's worth going to a bit of trouble over (might be a good seat for unwanted visitors! :( )

Cheers.

Can't you place some dowels in the holes to ascertain the angles - like they do on CSI with bullet holes? :)

Rod

Harbo":360jpxxg said:
Can't you place some dowels in the holes to ascertain the angles - like they do on CSI with bullet holes? :)

Rod

To be honest, that idea had crossed my mind and now that someone else thinks it's a sensible approach I'll do it. Will report back but off to work now, cuss, mutter mutter, cuss cuss. :(

@ Rod, just as an aside, that's a beautiful Windsor, any more pics, makers mark or history?
chris

Back