Chair making books/literature.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1275gt

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm looking to make a small chair for my daughter (3 yrs old).
I'm looking for resources, plans etc for the rake/angles and joinery construction.
Style is similar to dining chair (but scaled down). Straight back, flat components that kind of thing.
Not looking for anything for anything about Welsh, Windsor, stick chairs. Not that I don't like them it's just a project for another day.
I will only be using hand tools

Thanks in advance.

Have alook at this looks simple and easy to knock together.
Thank you for posting this but I'm looking for something with more joinery and refined to learn new skills such as angled mortice and tenons and carving the seat for example. Essentially an adult chair scaled down in size.

When my daughter was about that age I made a table and chairs for her play house, nothing fancy, mostly glued and screwed.
The sizing I got from the Collins Complete Woodwork book, there's a good section on design which will help you scale it to her height (+ a bit for the time it'll take to make )

When my daughter was about that age I made a table and chairs for her play house, nothing fancy, mostly glued and screwed.
The sizing I got from the Collins Complete Woodwork book, there's a good section on design which will help you scale it to her height (+ a bit for the time it'll take to make )
That sounds great I'm in need of some information on design. Thank you.

The book I found to be most useful is by Jeff Miller, (1997 2nd Ed) Chairmaking and Design. He is a very accomplished American chair maker and his book gives a clear account of the principles of chair design and construction. Some plans are included one being for a child's ladder back chair. I'm sure he also wrote a book on making children's furniture. As far as I know he is still in business in Chicago and pictures of his incredible work can be seen on the internet. Cheers IA

The book I found to be most useful is by Jeff Miller, (1997 2nd Ed) Chairmaking and Design. He is a very accomplished American chair maker and his book gives a clear account of the principles of chair design and construction. Some plans are included one being for a child's ladder back chair. I'm sure he also wrote a book on making children's furniture. As far as I know he is still in business in Chicago and pictures of his incredible work can be seen on the internet. Cheers IA
This sounds like exactly what I need, I'll have a look for it.
Thank you.

Back