Chair 2

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Knight

Established Member
Reaction score
Finished the second chair with ebony accents.

Chair_2_DSC_0060_1.sized.jpg

Chair_2_DSC_0071_1.sized.jpg

Very very nice.

I'm so impressed with these Chris, almost enough for me to want to try one. I don't think my skill is up to it yet though.

Adam

Looks fantastic, Chris - I love the ebony strip in the rockers :D

NeilCFD

Lovely stuff Chris!
You make it look so easy. How many man hours did you put in?
best regards
Philly :D
(nice to have a gloat-free posting from you too :wink: )

Philly":3bxe9vyn said:
(nice to have a gloat-free posting from you too :wink: )
How'd you come to that conclusion? :shock: :lol:

Lubbly jubbly, Chris. The shaping of the rear of the rockers that reveal more of the ebony is a nice feature. Yep, ebony accents I like. 8)

Cheers, Alf

Chris,

That IS a superlative piece of craftsmanship and a very, very beautiful object.

Ike

Hi Waterhead,
I really like your chair.
Do you mind if I put the pictures on my designsection of my homepage?
regards
rolf

Beautiful Chris, the oiled grain looks smashing I love natural wood.
You must have constructed this one in half the time of the first?

Superb effort Chris! Really lovely piece. In the time you built your second master piece of a rocking chair I built a drawer for my blanket chest - embarrassing really :(. Are you beginning to think about making them to sell??

Cheers

Gidon

asleitch":pgojqyy4 said:
I don't think my skill is up to it yet though.Adam

Mine neither but pieces like this provide the inspiration to want to get better.

Chris, was it easier 2nd time around? Were you going to add some carved detail? I can't see any

AndyP

Chris

Didn't think I would ever type this but it's better than the first chair. The ebony sets it off so nicely.
All I can say is that you are a gifted craftsman and I am in awe of your carving abilities :shock:

Thank you everybody for your kind comments. I am pretty pleased with the way this chair turned out. It was generally much easier the second time around but I was a mite careless on a couple of occasions where I hammered on without re-reading the instructions and as a result ended up with spares for a back leg and a rocker! I guess total time was around 150 man hours but I made no effort to record this and trying to distill working time from time waiting for the various glue-ups to dry is a bit problematic.

If anyone wants to have a go I would say go for it, Hal's instructions make it an eminently feasible job for somebody with reasonable skills and judging by what I have seen of people's photographs several people here should be able to manage it very well. I am not going to do Hal out of selling more of his plans and templates but I will gladly help anyone who buys them and gets stuck - not forgetting that Hal is only phone call away too and ready to help if needed.

Don't reckon I shall be selling these - it would become like work. Instead I shall try some carving next - I would indeed have carved the chair in some way if I had been on the course earlier - certainly if there is next one, I shall carve something on that (perhaps a discreet date under the seat!)

Rolf, You are welcome to put the pictures on your site but please note this is not a design that I made - I have followed the design of Hal Taylor Rocking chairs

Chris,

I think I must agree with Tony, its even better than the first one. I love the finish and the ebony, wonderful work sir :D

I think everybody has said it all, I loved the first one and wondered if it could get any better, but the ebony has set the chair off a treat Well Done Sir.

Bean

I canna even say that ya missed a bit..... sheesh....

fine work Chris.... nicely done Sir...

Chirs,

You have done a fantastic job. I only wish my work will be to that standard someday...

Chris what a great job you made of that chair , i think your selling yourself a bit short by saying most people could have done it .You must have realy loved making it because it definately shows .Well done i'll give you a gold star :mrgreen: .
BTW its nice to see a project gloat rather than look at my new kit gloat :oops:

Chris, that is beautiful. I am so impressed and I am sure you must be feeling just a little bit pleased with yourself.
Well done indeed.

SF

Back