chainsaw sharpeners

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mambo

Established Member
Reaction score
i know its not strictly the domain of this forum but i`m sure alot of you have chainsaws :)
i`m sick of shelling out the £10 for a new chain everytime it gets blunt, so i`m after a sharpening solution

anyone got any experience of these?

manual type
or
auto advance type

the auto advance type is supposed to half the time taken to sharpen a chain
but i`m thinking sometimes adding this sort of gimmick can actually make the tool less usefull if you know what i mean :?:

so which should i plump for?

I use a round file mounted in a simple flat metal jig that you use freehand, the jig just indicates the appropriate angle and makes sure you file the teeth in the correct direction rather than downwards into the chain mechanism.

Really easy and quick to use. The key is to sharpen little and often so that you are just restoring the edges.

Don't leave it till really blunt or it becomes a real chore and takes ages.

I generally use only two to three strokes of the file on each tooth. If it needs more strokes then you should be sharpening more frequently.

Make sure you take the same number of strokes on each tooth otherwise the chain will cut unevenly and drift in the cut to one side or other.

I find it helpful to file all the teeth on one side in the same direction, then turn the saw round and file all the other teeth in that direction. Helps keep the angles consistent. Useful also to mark the starting tooth with tippex or similar so that you know when you are back at the starting point again.

No need for anything grander or more mechanised unless you have massively long chains to do or are cutting all day every day IMHO.

Worth replacing the files regularly also, they do wear out and are pretty cheap so pick up a dozen or so at a time and swap them out occasionally.

Cheers, Paul. :D

I just touch mine up with a Husquvana file and guide, takes about 10mins on a 24" bar.

Most saw doctors will also have a chain sharpening service although £10 for a new chain is quite cheap, must be a small saw

Jason

I use one of these if it gets really blunt/damged and just a suitable small round file by eye when out and about with the saw, only takes about 5 mins to touch up normally when you refuel (and have acup of tea :) ).

cd

Forget those fancy sharpening devices; more trouble than they're worth x10.

Probably worth your while to take the saw (or at least the chain) to your nearest friendly agricultural/garden machinery shop and asking for the right bits. You'll be needing the right size round file for your chain and one of those file holders chisel linked too. Also you'll be needing a depth gauge that fits your chain and a flat file.

clicky

Other useful tools include a library card for cleaning the goo out of the channel in the bar, a tooth brush and a pokey stick - also for goo cleaning. Most chainsaws have bars that can be put on upside down; it's worth doing periodically so the bar wears evenly.

thanks for all your replies and thanks for the great link MrJay
i got the file and guide but i think my chain has got too dull it was brand new but i was using it for about 4 hours cutting oak and did hit the ground a few times and had to retire when the chainsaw stopped cutting and only just burnt the wood
i used file giving 4 strokes to each tooth but not much improvement was noticed so i sharpened again a few times in total maybe 16 strokes per tooth but i think ive blunt the file now :oops:
i think i may need the grinder after all :roll:

update

i went to my local shop and for £10 the guy sharpened my chain filled the oil showed me how to sharpen it properly and even let me keep the file he used :)

since then ive managed fine :D so thanks guys

Back