Chainsaw Reqd - Advice please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SVB

Established Member
Reaction score
I am after a chainsaw for cutting up donated logs for turning blanks.

The max log dia is approx 16" (as that is all I can lift). I am after a reasonable saw that will last over a real cheapy that will save me £20 in the short term.

I have allowed for the safety kit also as I value my legs. Is is all the same provided it has the BS standard, or is the Sthil / Husky stuff really worth the premium?

Advice / experience please!

Simon.

Some years ago a friend of mine was using his chainsaw to cut logs for the fire when, the chain snapped and swung round the machine and across his arm above the elbow.
This resulted in his forearm almost completely severed hanging from a tendon. :shock: :shock:

The arm was saved but some 10 years later still is not right.

CAN YOU FIND ANOTHER WAY :?:

Sounds like a proper jacket with arm protection might be a wise investment.

Adam

<shudder> what a awful thing for your friend.

Simon,

I have a small (18" bar) Husky that I bought second hand. It is a really great saw - starts first or second pull even if it hasn't been used for months. I got mine from Blackwood Chainsaws (don't think they have an online presence - maybe worth a Google though). Thye have loads of 2nd hand Huskys as they supply the local Forestry Commission with their saws, and so get a lot of saws in part-ex.

Prior to this, I hired / borrowed many of the cheap makes and found them a PIA - mainly due to problems getting the things to start!

One thing to consider is getting an electric powered saw if you are always going to be using it within the vicinity of the workshop - much quieter (no complaints from neighbors), and you can use it indoors when it is raining, which you really can't do with a petrol powered saw. Obviously if you are going to use it for a spot of tree felling, the the electric option is a non-starter.

One other piece of advice - get yourself on a chainsaw safety course - you will learn how to maintain the saw properly, and also how to avoid the dreaded kickback, which is something to be avoided at all costs with a chainsaw!

Regards

Gary

I got this one from argos its a well known brand and I find it good for cutting and splitting logs although I have only used it on logs up tp 10" round
link

I would echo the advice that you should attend a safety course. I've a Husky 136 and in over 40 years of use I've found it to be the best machine I've used for home use. The modern anti-kickback chains are very good and 'do what it says on the tin'; however you could still do yourself immense harm if you don't use the saw correctly.
Be safe, David.

I have got a large 24" Husky but I find it easier to cut stoff up for turning with an electric chainsaw its is also a lot more neighbour friendly if you fancy doing a bit of turning on a sunday morning :D

I have a 16" Ryobi which is as powerful as my 16" Tenaka petrol saw and the electronic brake stops the chain instantly, also has the usual blade brake and a clutch if you jam the blade. Got it through my local tool shop and the husky came from http://www.husqvarnachainsaws.co.uk/ useful info on this site as well.

Jason

Gary,

Many thanks for your advice. I visited Blackwood and found them to be really excellent both in terms of advice and their general helpfulness to a newbie.

They sorted out four or five chainsaws that would / could do what I asked and we trotted across the road to their wood pile for a demo.

Really useful. I ended up with a Husky 350 that had been reconditioned by them rather than the new 137 I thought I wanted (the extra power really made the difference when I used them).

All in all a good day out!

BRgds
Simon.

Simon,

Glad you got yourself sorted out.

They are good guys at Blackwood Chainsaws, and as you say, the opportunity to have a try out on their wood pile is very useful!

Regards

Gary

jasonB":1z60owrh said:
I have a 16" Ryobi

Jason - I'm in the market for an electric chainsaw, mainly to cut logs etc before splitting them. Nothing too large. How do you rate the Ryobi. The only reason I ask is that it seems to be available for under £90 online and it seemed like a good buy.

Mine is the CS-1540, don't think they make it any more, the latest one seems to be an 1800w motor rather than my 1500w.

I was pleasantly surprised by what it is capable of, I regularly use it to crosscut and rip up large "logs" for turning, only thing I altered was the slipper clutch which cut in a bit early.

Jason

Back