Chainsaw Mills

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Les,

I have used one similar years ago, and one a little more robust and accurate (and lots more expensive).

Both worked and the one I used like the one in the link I just had to be more careful to make the cuts straight. It also didn't work as well when the cant you are cutting from gets narrow.

But chainsaw mills have been around since the 1950s. They do work.

Mike

MikeW":1ml7d3pl said:
It also didn't work as well when the cant you are cutting from gets narrow.

I wondered if that type of chainsaw attachment was more intended for squaring up logs to make beams etc for carpentry. That seems to be the opinion of this (ludicrously expensive) French supplier who does this thing:

http://www.hmdiffusion.com/aoCCatalogue.jrun?Destination=pageProduit&num=1771&numsousfamille=500

but recommends one of these for planking:

http://www.hmdiffusion.com/aoCCatalogue.jrun?Destination=pageProduit&num=1619&numsousfamille=500

Sorry about the lingo but I reckon the pics are fairly self-explanatory.

I was half toying with the idea of making one of these things at some point (the second one)... when I can find a source of mig welding gas over here!

HTH

I way toying with the idea of getting one but found it easier to use the chainsaw free hand to cut the butts into managable sections then slice them up on the band saw.

You will need a powerful saw to get the best out of these machines, I have got a 372XP Husquvarna with 24" bar and a specially ground rip rip as well as the standard chain.

Have a look at this site as well

http://www.logosol.com/webb/sawmills/2000a-default.php

Jason

I've seen the Logosol ones at wood working shows. They seem to work really well...and they are a bit expensive.

One can purchase a portable bandsaw mill used for not much more and it takes a much thinner kerf, and they cut faster.

Boy, this reminds me of when we were looking at all these options in the '70s when we built our log cabin.

Thanks for the replies.

Scott, you might be on to something there with the supplier in france, much easier than getting something like this shipped from the us as my parents spend half the year in france. The second option you show looks like the real deal, but at €400 it's a bit pricy for what I'm after (At present I only have 2 trees to plank, but they are in such an awkwarrd place that getting a portable sawmill to them would be impossible, or at very least very very expensive)

Hum, need to think about it, looks like I need to get a bigger chanisaw as well, but I kind of knew that already.

As to mig welding gas, I'm sure I saw that in Leroy Merlin when I was over last year

Les

Les Mahon":2sd2lpp8 said:
As to mig welding gas, I'm sure I saw that in Leroy Merlin when I was over last year

Les

Thanks Les but they don't have one of them by us! :?

Most of the DIY sheds have oxygen and MAPP gas etc in bottles exactly the same as disposable MIG bottles in UK but I haven't seen any Argon/CO2. Might have to speak nicely to the guy that owns the bar in the village for some CO2!

Best of luck with the chainsaw thing

Les , everything is possible, this is the site of my local green oak supplier.

cambournepete, I have used the 320mm hand held planer and the portable band saw, awsome tools but at about £1500 each not something I can justify!

Jason

Jason,

I agree - everything is possible, but at a price! the trees in question are in my parents place in West cork, on an Island without a roll on roll off service (other than by special order, tide & wether dependant) and to get the saw near the trees would require the same sorth of feat depicted by your supplier with the crane, assuming the crane was not too heavy for the boat, and could get up the track to the house!

I spoke to a crowd here who would so it, but it would have to be on a pe hour basis, which would be hugely expensive to plank 2 trees.

Anyway, I am starting to see this as an excuse for more tool purchase - never a bad thing!

Les

Sounds like a helicopter job :D Depends what the wood is and what you would save by having it sawn, plus drying/kiln costs.

In the past I have cut butts into 8' lengths then used the chainsaw handheld to rip them into 6"x12" sections, these can then be handled by two people and put through a decent sized bandsaw.

Jason

Back