Chainsaw Mill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent progress Paul, you do seem to have been very economical with the timber salvage/conversion, great to see timber not going to waste.

Collected car load of Yew on Friday for the long process of 'curing' only to see about 3 ton of it just going to firewood because the person harvesting it is not set up to do anything else and little inclination to do anything more time consuming in the processing of it. Some of it 600mm diam. and no time for me to go borrow a tractor and trailer and some extra muscle to collect.

Blimey Chas, what a waste of good yew :shock:

Hope you got the best bits at least. If you were closer and we had more time I might have been able to give you a hand, although I am seriously overstocked with timber :roll: :lol:

The chain and bar on the saw are a bit worn so just ordered a new bar a bit longer at 24" rather than 20", and a chain to suit. You lose a couple of inches of usable bar length when the mill is mounted, so the extra will give me a bit more capacity and the saw copes fine without struggling power wise at present so I think should cope with a bit extra length.

Having a rest today from chainsawing though, was hard work yesterday, more moving the logs and cut timber around than the actual cutting !

Cheers, Paul

paulm":1bwbchxz said:
Hope you got the best bits at least.
Unfortunately I had to take what I could handle on my own and fit in the car, I only popped down the road to that woodland you drove through near my place to deliver some turnings, and the guy was busy clearing some daylight in the wood. I have the clearance from the owner to help myself but timing, handling room and strength limits me at times.

Hopefully some of it will end up in the wood storage barn and I will have a chance to go pick it over another time.

Back