Chainsaw Instruction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Solicitus

Established Member
Reaction score
I have used all sorts of power tools and machinery over the last twenty years or so without instruction or training, and without major mishap. For various reasons I was thinking of getting a chainsaw - partly to use in collecting firewood, but also as I was hoping to obtain timber for turning. Anyway, I digress. My initial inclination was just to jump in and buy one, but I read up on the hazards and started wondering about training. Having looked on line most of the basic chainsaw training courses seem to run over 4 or even 5 days. Is that a realistic length of time for you to have to take to to be taught the basics in ? Am I being wildly optimistic to think that I could learn the essentials in a day ? Am I being overly cautious in considering going down the training route in the first place ? Should I just buy one, get the safety gear and be careful ? Any considered views / suggestions or comments would be welcome.

Robert

I think you are being very sensible. Chain saw can be dangerous only the other day someone cut of their had when the saw kicked up. Go on the course, then get the recommended safety gear.

Having never been on a course and used chainsaws since I was a teenager, I would say that it depends entirely what you are going to do with it and how competent you feel with tools like these. If you are primarily going to be bucking (cutting up logs on the ground/in a saw horse) and cutting down smaller trees in uncomplicated situations, then I would say using a well maintained saw with a decent anti-kickback device and some common sense you will be fine without a course. If you are cutting big stuff and felling in a complicated environment then a course might be of benefit. My experience of most machine use courses is that they labour a lot the very common sense stuff and basics you can get by reading your tool's manual - my view is that if you really need to be told common sense then you probably shouldn't be contemplating using a saw in the first place. Others opinions may differ.

Dunno if there is a conservation volunteer body anywhere near you, but some of them run courses for their volunteers in the use of chainsaws etc.. They might point you to something. It's certainly better to be safe than sorry - chainsaws take no prisoners.

Have used chainsaws on and off for years without any problems.

As Newt says use care and common sense but ALWAYS treat a chainsaw with respect ie don't overstretch yourself or the saw,always make sure of sound footing and clear the ground where your working(falling on a chainsaw can reduce your limbs instead of the tree's) also make sure you use a helmet with face guard!

If there is anybody you know that works with a CS ask them for a quick tuition maybe in exchange for beer tokens(only after work)

PS Highly recommend Stihl

Best of luck
M

Thanks for all your input - your views are all very helpful. I have a generally cautious and careful approach to the use of power tools of all sorts, and I am relatively fit and healthy, so I would anticipate that I would cope. I suppose the ideal would be as suggested having someone spend a bit of time giving me some one to one instruction without the need to go on a commercial course. If there is anyone out there with the requisite skills who could spare a few hours for a sensible commercial return in central Scotland then let me know ! Again, many thanks.

Robert

This book gets very good reviews and will probably give you a better idea whether you want certified training.

Lots of reviews on Amazon (it's now in my basket!!)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Homeowners-Comp ... 1565233565

When you use a chainsaw and see the speed with which even a tiddler will go through timber, you will realise that you won't have time to feel it before you have cut your foot off! As a result, I now have and always use full PPE equipment. I also stop a chainsawing job before I start feeling tired rather than after.

Solicitus":1374s2ao said:
Thanks Steve, I'm quite keen on keeping the full compliment of limbs etc. Book ordered from Amazon.

Robert

That reminds me of a guitar making book I have in which the author says words to the effect "as you are making a guitar, I assume you will want to play it and that will be much easier if you still have all of your fingers" :D :D :D

Steve

Our local agricultural college held courses at one stage. Might be worth checking if one near you?

I have a decent sized petrol chainsaw used only occasionally and that make me very cautious indeed when I use it. More so than any other machinery I own.

Bob

Hi Solicitus

Where abouts are you in Fife. I am in Glenrothes and have been usings chainsaws for 20 years. I also have some certificates as well. I could maybe arrange something with you, if you are interested you can pm me.

Mike

Steve Blackdog":nd1rtqix said:
This book gets very good reviews and will probably give you a better idea whether you want certified training.

Lots of reviews on Amazon (it's now in my basket!!)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Homeowners-Comp ... 1565233565

When you use a chainsaw and see the speed with which even a tiddler will go through timber, you will realise that you won't have time to feel it before you have cut your foot off! As a result, I now have and always use full PPE equipment. I also stop a chainsawing job before I start feeling tired rather than after.

I believe that a mid range CS will remove 1lb of flesh per second, (remebering my paramedic days and my advanced truma course)

I would be happy to give you an introduction. I am an occasional user, but have had been on a formal 6 day course and have CS30 ans CS31.

I got my first Chainsaw at the age of 15 for cutting turning wood. A local forester helped me out with the basics, and I went on NPTC course as I was considering a career in Tree Surgery. I have done a variety of chainsaw based work over the last 14 years, and would be more than happy to pass on my knowledge. Based in Uddingston Central Scotland so not too far for me to come to you.

PPE is essential, decent trousers, boots and helmet with full visor are a must in my opinion.

Ian

IMHO the biggest danger to the operator of a chainsaw is "kickback" this can seriously hurt/maim or kill you and possibly anyone unfortunate enough to be near you ( they should not be but Sods law say's !!!) .A severe case of kickback will be to powerfull for even the strongest person to bring under control, you get no warning and it happens in a split second. If nothing else please get some instruction/read up on/watch video's on this before firing up the beast (electric ones are just as dangerous).
Been using them off and on for over 30 years and still have all my bit's n bob's attatched and yes there have been a few brown trouser moments during this time DAMHIKT.
As pointed out by several others wear the proper gear it wont gaurantee your safety but it could help to keep you safe.

Mark

There are an awful lot of things to learn about using a chainsaw and a five day course is not going to give anyone the experience of every possible situation when something unexpected happens.

Having said that, the most important thing to know is that the top radius of the nose of the saw when put in contact with wood is what causes kick - back. The more forceful the contact, the greater the kick back. The worst kick back is likely when undercutting. You are using the top of the saw which wants to push the saw back towards you. If the cut pinches rather than opening up it will push the saw toward you and the top of the nose into the pinched cut. Big kick back.

So the obvious lesson for the beginner is to keep the nose away from any contact with anything. The chainbreak might be very good but it will only work if your wrist is behind it to make contact. It is not always. The handle goes all the way down the side and there are plenty of positions in which your hand will not be in the right place to trigger it. Though when used sideways like this it will be your leg than is in the line of kick back rather than your head/neck.

It is a fine line between being confident but not over confident and cautious but not over cautious. It needs to be run fast enough to cut but not so over - revved that you can't feel what's going on or get out of trouble by just opening the right hand and losing power.

Always think each cut through and take into account weight, leverage, obstacles that may cause pinching and where you are in reference to where the saw might go unexpectedly.

Another thing that can do you some damage is snatching of the pull cord. In collage we were told that the only "safe" way to start the saw was to place it on the ground with a foot in the back handle and the left hand on the top handle and pull the cord upwards with the right hand. I have found this to be the very worst way: the saw can be pulled up toward the throat at worst but the most likely injury is to the wrist. If it partially fires it will snatch. A friend of mine's wrist took months to heal after this stretched his ligaments for him.
The best way that I advocate is to drop start. Hold the saw by the top handle with the left hand, take the cord toggle in the right and throw the weight of the saw down and away from you. This tends to point the guide bar downwards out of harms way and uses the weight of the saw as a buffer if it snatches. Although this method will probably be demonised as 'the worst way' by official and academic sources, experience has shown me otherwise.

I would second the recommendation for Stihl.

I've used a chainsaw extensively for the last 30 years or so, and have never had an accident. As someone said, above, there is a huge difference between just cutting up logs, and felling trees. Aside from the obvious dangers of dropping a tree on yourself, other people, or valuable property, there are at least two other things to be wary of. One, is to ensure the saw bar doesn't get pinched between the two halves of the log you're cutting up. The second, and most dangerous, is kickback. Kickback can occur during a normal cut, when the saw contacts the wood while running too slowly. Typically, that is when the saw is revving down, after the trigger has been released from the previous cut. The saw should always be running full speed when it first contacts the wood. The more common occurrence is when the tip of the saw contacts the wood. Even when running at top speed, depending on the angle of contact, the saw tip can buck right up in your face, even if you're holding it with both hands. If your saw has a Tip Guard, I would certainly recommend leaving it on. There is rarely any real need to cut with the tip of the saw. Don't do it! One other thing: Don't try to use a chainsaw while standing on a ladder. Leave that to an experienced professional. I'm not sure about a multiple day class, but just watching someone use a saw for a half hour can teach you the basics.

Richard T":3bygecm9 said:
Another thing that can do you some damage is snatching of the pull cord. In collage we were told that the only "safe" way to start the saw was to place it on the ground with a foot in the back handle and the left hand on the top handle and pull the cord upwards with the right hand. I have found this to be the very worst way: the saw can be pulled up toward the throat at worst but the most likely injury is to the wrist. If it partially fires it will snatch. A friend of mine's wrist took months to heal after this stretched his ligaments for him.
The best way that I advocate is to drop start. Hold the saw by the top handle with the left hand, take the cord toggle in the right and throw the weight of the saw down and away from you. This tends to point the guide bar downwards out of harms way and uses the weight of the saw as a buffer if it snatches. Although this method will probably be demonised as 'the worst way' by official and academic sources, experience has shown me otherwise.

I would second the recommendation for Stihl.

I am sorry, but to suggest drop starting a saw is just dangerous, especially on a public forum where the experience of the readers is unknown. You were taught that way in collage for a good reason. It is not good for the operator and it is not good for the saw!

You are correct the only safe way to start a cold saw is by putting it on the ground placing your (normally)right foot on the back handle, your left hand on the top handle and pulling the start cord with your right hand.

The HSE guidelines are a useful starting point for any chainsaw user( I don't appear to be able to provide the link). Once you have learned to operate a chainsaw safely, you may assess the risk and modify procedures to suit your own way of working in your own private space.

Ian

Here's a link to a youtube site showing how NOT to use a chainsaw. The video is actually quite interesting, but if you watch it you'll see after about 2-3 minutes the guy (American, of course) chainsawing a log in half with no gloves and wearing shorts - completely bare legs. I saw a previous version where he chainsaws the corners off while holding the log with his foot (not recommended) and wearing open toe sandals, but I can't find this one - he may have modified it into the one in the link.

Regarding courses, there's an organisation called Lantra which does training including I believe,chainsaw training, at reduced fees. I'm not sure how you qualify for reduced fees though. I heard about it through a land management scheme, so it may only apply to smallholders etc. Might be worth an investigation though.

Personally, I have used a chainsaw for quite a few years, but generally for sawing up logs as opposed to felling trees, and I've had no instruction (and one accident where the chain somehow caught the little finger of my left hand - no permanent injuries, but painful and very scary). Since then I ALWAYS use proper chain saw gloves.

A friend went on a course, which prepared him for felling trees up to 4 inches diameter. Anything bigger required further instruction, so if you decide to go on a course, make sure it covers what you need.

As an absolute minimum - get adequate protection (gloves, overtrousers, boots, face protection, earmuffs), read the literature and understand what causes kick back, and make sure the wood is held securely before the chain contacts it. Full revs are usual when using a petrol chainsaw.

K

Back