Chain saw problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Froggy

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi, I have a Stihl MS 170 and have a problem with the oil. It's not using any. I normally top up the oil about as often as I fill it with petrol but recently noticed it wasn't using any. So I took it apart and it is as dry as a bone. I assume there is a blockage somewhere. Does anyone know how I would go about cleaning it and getting rid of the blockage please?

Froggy":18xcne5z said:
Hi, I have a Stihl MS 170 and have a problem with the oil. It's not using any. I normally top up the oil about as often as I fill it with petrol but recently noticed it wasn't using any. So I took it apart and it is as dry as a bone. I assume there is a blockage somewhere. Does anyone know how I would go about cleaning it and getting rid of the blockage please?

Maybe worth taking it for a professional service if you are unsure how it works

Froggy":1ty1b5dk said:
I have a Stihl MS 170 and have a problem with the oil. It's not using any.

Don't use the saw until you've sorted the oil problem. Normally you should fill it up with oil every time you fill it up with fuel. The oil is clearly not getting through to the chain. As Blister says, might be best to get it serviced properly.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I'd start by draining the oil tank and cleaning everything out, especially around the oil pump. You just need to take the cutter bar and chain off, then tip it on its side to drain the oil out. You should be able to locate the auto-lube pump which will be held in by a couple of allen key bolts. Take that out and give it a good clean, blow it out with compressed air if you can. If everything's cleaned out and still there's no oil, then you need to get the lube pump reconditioned or replace it.

Before trying anything too drastic, take the bar and chain off and check that the two round holes on either side of the slot for the retaining bolts are free of wood grot. Also, check that the passage from those holes to the base of the slot in which the chain rides are free.
After that, it starts getting technical......

dickm":2w7e1ovr said:
Before trying anything too drastic, take the bar and chain off and check that the two round holes on either side of the slot for the retaining bolts are free of wood grot. Also, check that the passage from those holes to the base of the slot in which the chain rides are free.
After that, it starts getting technical......

Already done that, Thanks Dickm

siggy_7":2w7e1ovr said:
I'd start by draining the oil tank and cleaning everything out, especially around the oil pump. You just need to take the cutter bar and chain off, then tip it on its side to drain the oil out. You should be able to locate the auto-lube pump which will be held in by a couple of allen key bolts. Take that out and give it a good clean, blow it out with compressed air if you can. If everything's cleaned out and still there's no oil, then you need to get the lube pump reconditioned or replace it.

Thanks Siggy I'll try that.

Latest posts

Back