CH Radiator Recommendations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sideways

UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I have a couple of small bedrooms to redecorate.
Because of the layout I'm interested in fitting tall narrow radiators. What once would have been called "designer" but are commonplace these days.

I'd be grateful for recommendations of brands to check out. I'm looking for decent quality at a fair price. I don't need a premium brand but if they don't last 20 years I'd be disappointed.

your main consideration should be the output of your current radiators measured in btu,s designer rads towel radiators etc often provide a much lower output compared to standard panel radiators-also take into account the size of your rooms and number of external walls , size of windows etc. designer rads look good but are not always practical depending on your property type old , newbuild , standard of your insulation. Prices often dictate what folk buy as some prices will make you cry . Fitted correctly, with clean ch water ( not sludged up or being corroded by the ingress of oxygen) with the correct dose of inhibitor to protect your system even the cheaper rads should last for years . Multi wrap ptfe tape on the rad tails not single wrap ( for gas) any sign of black water when draining down consider a ch system cleaner. Both screwfix and Toolstation do some decent mid price rads . In short though the cleaner the system water the longer the rads will last .

I have used two or three different brands without problems and there are a lot of calculators online to help with the sizing. One I brought of Amazon and the others at random from online shops. Saying that I have just remembered one of the horizontal ones had rust and a suspect weld so I sent it back and brought a different brand.

Some vertical radiators you have to connect the flow and return on a particular side which may limit your choice depending where your feed and return pipes are. They can also be difficult to bleed the first time and I did mine a few times a few days apart.

Thanks everyone. These two rads are the last of the 1979 originals to be getting replaced. I'll be ripping out the microbore drops and re-plumbing in 15mm as part of the job. I'll take a look at Stelrad :)

Thanks everyone. These two rads are the last of the 1979 originals to be getting replaced. I'll be ripping out the microbore drops and re-plumbing in 15mm as part of the job. I'll take a look at Stelrad :)
F1 express is easy to add via one of your new rads - it screws into the top of your rad ( remove the bleed valve or rad blank ) reference is to the rads with removeable fittings-1/2 “ fitting. Simply shake can and screw into rad and hold trigger for 20-30 secs and system is treated . 1 can per average system .

Forgot picture

Attachments

• 70BFBB45-A023-4C00-A53E-6C486217039B.png
    70BFBB45-A023-4C00-A53E-6C486217039B.png
    855.5 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back