Ceramic frying pan

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris152

Established Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations on reasonably priced ones that are good? I've had enough of the one I bought in Lidl a while back, things keep sticking to it.
Thanks, C

Chris, what's the advantage/s of a ceramic pan as opposed to CI or Alu? Oven? Or how it cooks/heat etc?

Noel":3aydgwqx said:
Chris, what's the advantage/s of a ceramic pan as opposed to CI or Alu? Oven? Or how it cooks/heat etc?

As a guess I would say the heat distribution would be more even along with faster cooling down and heating up times, similar to copper pans.

Try heating the pan before you put anything in it - get it really hot, then add oil, then the food. Stainless steel works the same way - if it's hot, it will be non-stick. Allegedly - I don't have one yet - the on the list.

Noel":84ggz7kp said:

I went over to ceramic and threw out my teflon after watching a documentary about how invasive/ harmful it is, not tried anything else - but did wonder about getting a skillet to see if that works.

Tn - I also wondered if I've been using the ceramic pan wrong! As it is, I can't even fry eggs on a low heat without them sticking, but it was ok for a while after I bought it.

Ceramic is better than stainless for not sticking but a lot worse than Teflon.

Brand matters too. I have some ceramic pans that are superb and barely stick, others are pretty awful and stick badly though clean up fine afterwards. The grey textured type has been best so far, the white smooth I got from Lidl is not very good.

I had one for while - it's one of the few things I've thrown out!
Things would stick to it, it stained, I'd rather have my cast iron griddle, or a teflon pan.

phil.p":3f1qv75w said:
https://reviewmeta.com/

I don't know how accurate this is, but it's quite interesting to run things through. :D

How do I know you're not a bot generating traffic and business for reviewmeta.com? :D

I too am trying to eliminate Teflon (its fumes are almost instantly fatal, to parrots, incidentally).

I got a Green Pan from John Lewis and it hasn't been a success. It stopped being non-stick and became difficult to clean, then some small dings started growing and now the inside is quite pitted on the bottom surface.

I'm not sure which I want to ingest less: aluminium compounds or Teflon.

So quite keen to hear from someone who has had success with any not-Teflon solution, especially for frying-pan type stuff. I often do boiled rice using Delia's simple recipe*, which involves cooking it in a frying pan, but you have seconds between "nicely cooked" and "now burned & stuck to the pan".

E.

*Roughly: 1/2 chopped onion, fried gently. Put rice in, dry, and ensure it's coated with oil, then add boiling water, cover till cooked. You're supposed to add water at twice the volume of the rice granules, but I find that's never enough water, so now keep testing and topping-up.

Carbon steel, the way proper Woks are made. Needs seasoning, coat with vegetable oil and heat till smoking. The more you use it the better the non stick gets. Never use washing up liquid or a dishwasher to clean just use hot water and a brush to scrub around it. Heat the pan to dry it after washing, add a little more oil if it looks dry, just rub a little vegetable oil around the pan with a paper towel.

Cast iron is good too, treat the same way as carbon steel, but it is heavy and if you over heat it can be ruined.

I love chasseur pans, expensive but they're worth it, I've got one that's approaching 10 years old now and it's as good as the day I bought it. You just have to be careful not to overheat them and they last a long time.

treeturner123":3cuv0sxi said:
Hi All

Is this a case of jumping from the Ceramic Frying pan into the ceramic fire?!

Phil

You should be banned for a week for that :D

Cornersruns":2puyybap said:
Carbon steel, the way proper Woks are made. Needs seasoning, coat with vegetable oil and heat till smoking. The more you use it the better the non stick gets. Never use washing up liquid or a dishwasher to clean just use hot water and a brush to scrub around it. Heat the pan to dry it after washing, add a little more oil if it looks dry, just rub a little vegetable oil around the pan with a paper towel.

Cast iron is good too, treat the same way as carbon steel, but it is heavy and if you over heat it can be ruined.
You should be fine with mild detergents (like washing up liquid) on a well seasoned pan, dishwasher is not a good idea.

A good oil to use is flaxseed oil (i.e. food grade linseed) as it will dry and form a seasoning coat more easily than normal oils.

Latest posts

Back