central heating oil

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RogerS":yafxnuer said:
In case it's escaped anyone's attention, the price is very, very low at the moment. I just filled up at 31.95p per litre.

Not something I would ever need, but as a matter of interest, how much has it been costing?

lurker":2xsg3v4v said:
RogerS":2xsg3v4v said:
In case it's escaped anyone's attention, the price is very, very low at the moment. I just filled up at 31.95p per litre.

Not something I would ever need, but as a matter of interest, how much has it been costing?

In Sep 2019 50.95....Jan 2020 49.95 so not an insignificant saving.

I would be out digging a new 2nd fuel bunker at that difference.

That's very low. We can't get it for that price here (Bucks). I ordered some a few days ago as I am getting low but price at the time was around 40p/ltr. Just checked and they are quoting 37.04 ex. VAT so you are getting a good deal. My Dad in Devon can always get a better price as well. I should get the saving though on when I ordered.
Checked back over the last 5 years and I paid anything from 22p to 60p litre. The price varies hugely.

Currently 30p/ lt in Shropshire, but I guess there's still some downside to come.
I remember being really fed up when it went up from 9p to 15p / lt back in the late 90's, so even 30p / lt sounds expensive to me!

I just paid 17 point something. I wish I had a bigger tank, or another tank. It'll be a long time until it's anywhere near this sort of price again.

Yeah, I just checked the quote again, and the 19p was for immediate delivery; waiting until next week drops the price to 17.5p.
Very tempted to fill the tank! :D

Filled up a week ago at 22p litre. It's almost worth buying a 2nd tank - I saw a pre-owned 1300 litre one the other day for £45. Unfortunately SWMBO didn't see it as the same bargain that I did. (hammer).

Good grief! Are you guys still burning oil for heating? I thought that had been outlawed 40 - odd years ago following the oil crisis. Or was that just a temporary measure?
Pete

Needs must I'm afraid - no mains gas, and using electricity to heat the house would be eye wateringly expensive, so oil it has to be.

Same here, no gas in the village so very little choice and it's quite common in rural areas.

woodhutt":29uzu61j said:
Good grief! Are you guys still burning oil for heating? I thought that had been outlawed 40 - odd years ago following the oil crisis. Or was that just a temporary measure?
Pete
No mains gas and no need to swap to a gas tank yet.

At this price I might talk my father in law into doing another fill for us as we're about half way anyway and he has another tank we can fill.

woodhutt":3f3jeqq0 said:
Pete

Of all the practical options open to people in isolated rural communities in the UK, heating by oil (kerosene) has the lowest carbon emissions. When the wood pellet industry here reaches a critical mass, it will be the best solution, but the capital costs are high despite subsidies, and at the moment most of the pellets are imported (mainly from Canada, I'm told) meaning there is a high carbon footprint. An energy consultant friend of mine did the maths and worked out that the emissions were higher from imported wood pellets than from oil. Electric heating in any form (including heat pumps) is smoke-and-mirrors, and whilst we still burn lots of fossil fuels in generating our electricity it remains a dirty as well as an expensive option. I feel less than guilty about burning oil because I made the house extremely energy efficient such that it costs about £75 to £100 a year to heat.

Latest posts

Back