Central heating leak

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racers

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I notices a stain on the ceiling about 12:30 today (christmas eve) the brass fitting that screws on to the pump in the airing cupboard was dripping, so I gave it a tighten and it started leaking even more so I gave it another tighten and was squirting out.
I shouted the wife to get a bucket and I raced down stairs to drain the radiators. In the coupling was a washer that had decided it was time and had given up, it was just mush, now at 1:00 christmas eve plumbers aren't open so I had to come up with a solution, looking round the garage I spotted the wifes wellies and after some quick work with a compass and scissors I had a replacement washer made and its all water tight and working, phew, I wounder how much the call out charge is on christmas eve?

Pete

Racers":1o0y5596 said:
I had to come up with a solution, looking round the garage I spotted the wifes wellies and after some quick work with a compass and scissors I had a replacement washer made and its all water tight and working, phew, I wounder how much the call out charge is on christmas eve?
Nice bit of problem solving. 8) The call out would be lots more than a new pair of wellies, well unless they were designer ones. :shock:

Nice one - a few quid saved there, me thinks !

But a lesson learnt - my dad (a time served plumber) always said that the answer to a leaking joint isn't always to tighten it further. Things can be overdone, and the problem worsened.

Cheers

Karl

BUT !!

are you a qualified PLUMBER ???

according to the EEC you can only work on sparks and drips if you are qualified

Yer RIGHT !!

:wink:

Soon the only job that will be available without quaifications will be Member of Parliament. :?

Roy.

In our last house, I discovered that the pipe from the header tank to the immersion cylinder was only held in by string and hard set Boss White, with no back nut at all. So much for professional plumbers, but it hadn't leaked in the 20 years since the house had been built.......

Some years ago I wanted to soak the butt ends of some posts in creosote.
In a bucket one gallon of Creosote wasn't deep enough, in a Wellington boot it was! :lol:

Roy.

Back