Cen-Tec Systems Extraction Hose and 'Quick-Click' adaptors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sams93

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

Does anyone have any experience with any of the Cen-Tec stuff. It seems to be widely avaliable in america but also it is on amazon in the UK and europe. It seems to have fairly good reviews on there, and it doesnt seem too expensive.

I only have a small workshop and i dont have the space for machines to be permanently installed to extraction, and most of them are on mobile bases, so the idea of a plug-in quick connect system is appealing. Currently I have multiple duct-taped B&Q waste pipe and plumbing adapters attached as best possible everywhere, and it really isn't great as some of them end up needing multiple size-converters etc in order to get them to fit my hose.

I'm hoping to be able to use it in as much of a plug and play fashion as possible with:
- My cyclone (small one) which is attached to a HPLV shop vac
- Set of Henry hoover nozzles (brush nozzle and long one etc for cleaning up)]
- Festool TS55, Rotex and ETS
- Dewalt trim router and DWS774 chop saw
- Clarke CBS355 bandsaw
- Excel Table Saw (similar to DW745)

I have ordered this kit Cen Tec 3m + Adapters and I will do a post about it once I have had a chance to use it. Just wondered whether others have tried it at all and if so how has it lasted over time or whether they have had any success or issues with any of the tools mentioned.

Sam

So when I looked at it I wondered the same, as I want a system where the hose can easily connect to all of my regularly used tools without too much faffing about changing connectors or moving the adaptors around etc etc.

On the Cen-Tec website they list each connectors for sale individually, but that is USA. On amazon it looks like I can buy packs of the adaptors in either 2-packs or 5-packs Link, which are a tad pricey for what they are, but I suppose its a one-off thing. Annoyingly they are packs of different sizes though, so hopefully my tools won't all be one size else ill need to get a few.

EDIT - I don't know how I hadn't come across this but it turns out that you can buy them individually in the UK for about £6 each. Cen Tec UK Website

I just want the whole system to be 'unified' so that I can stop doing the current 'tape based' moving of hoses etc.

If moving the hose is a faff then im tempted not to do it, particulalrly if its just for a quick cut/sand etc = over the course of the day build up of dust everywhere. So it needs to be quick, simple and easy to move the hose across tools.

I have the CenTec hose and a couple of adaptors (all that was available when I bought them 4 years ago) and I'm very impressed. The hose is so much better than a couple of others that I tried. It doesn't kink or collapse when you accidentally stand on it. The adaptors are very easy to use with a click on system and fit almost all of my machines including a TS 55, domino router and various sanders. I have 3D printed a couple of adaptors for odd machines. No problems at all after 4 years

I've got the 4-piece set of adaptors plus several click collars that I've fitted on hoses of different lengths.

I don't have anything like a planer that generates huge amounts of chips, but found that the adapters fit the majority of my tools and, in other cases, I've made a short interface piece that stays in place on the tool so that one of the CenTec adapters can be used.

I have the CenTec hose and a couple of adaptors (all that was available when I bought them 4 years ago) and I'm very impressed. The hose is so much better than a couple of others that I tried. It doesn't kink or collapse when you accidentally stand on it. The adaptors are very easy to use with a click on system and fit almost all of my machines including a TS 55, domino router and various sanders. I have 3D printed a couple of adaptors for odd machines. No problems at all after 4 years
That is good to hear! - My current hose, as good as it is, is quite flimsy and is liable to kink at the source if I bend it too much.

How complicated is printing the adapters, is it something that you sell or just make them for yourself?

I've got the 4-piece set of adaptors plus several click collars that I've fitted on hoses of different lengths.

I don't have anything like a planer that generates huge amounts of chips, but found that the adapters fit the majority of my tools and, in other cases, I've made a short interface piece that stays in place on the tool so that one of the CenTec adapters can be used.
Planer Thicknesser is a special case and I plan to deal with that separately: I have previously hooked it up to the 100mm output direct from the shop-vac which has worked well, although then it fills up the shop vac and I don't get any of the benefits of the cyclone. 50mm is the output diameter of the cyclone so I am hopeful that a separate 50mm hose with a 50-100mm adapter at the end just for the planer thicknesser will be able to manage for it's occasional use.

How I have it at the moment is rather irritating. I have to unplug the cyclone from the shop vac, duct tape the end of the 100mm pipe to the planer, then it fills the vac with chips and dust, so then I have to clean it out and clean the filter after every use. Given that I only have a small shop and process boards individually for each job, it is a huge pain and puts me off using the thing.

How complicated is printing the adapters, is it something that you sell or just make them for yourself?

My early ones weren't so good but I have got better at the design and I only do them for myself. They aren't difficult once you have a printer

I've been using cen-tec hoses and adaptors for about 3 years now, I run 2 vacs in my workshop, 1 for the mitre saw/ router table and another for hand held tools, I've wrapped both hoses in braded cable wrap to prevent snagging but other than that the system is great. The hose connects directly to my Bosch mitre saw with no adapter which is a bonus.

Matt

I have them as part of my dust extraction systems. They are pretty reasonably priced compared to many.

For my Festool stuff, I run Festool hoses and these are far superior to Cen-Tec, but at a steep price.

For most of the other tools I run Cen-Tec with a range of adapters for each tool (always best to write on the adapter for which tool it is best suited). I have run one of their very long hoses (11 metres if I recall) from an NV-750 to a De-Walt sander and the suction was absolutely fine - so in hose friction losses are tolerable. I've also tried using a shorter hose in conjunction with tools on my MFT. If the hoses are routed up overhead they work well. If they drop down below the bench they tend to snag on the bench edges far more than, say, the Festool ones.

The fittings, being general purpose, are not as solid as, say the Festool ones because they are generally a push fit using slightly flexible rubber (or similar) and, with use, they have a habit of working loose.

On a budget, I certainly rate them.

Yeah, they are decent.

A few youtubers I'd seen had them and after a show and tell I got myself a kit.

The hose plus two adapters. A couple of years old now, bit well used but still working fine. Fits to all my tools (mix of brands, plus Festool). The only thing I struggle with is the vaccuum cleaner attachment of all things. I reached out to CenTec and they don't have an adapter to fit. I don't have the measurement in front of me now but it's bigger than smaller adapter, and smaller than their largest one. What I currently do is just hold the click adapter into the tube and that works. Far from ideal but works until I get pick up the Festool adapter/cleaner.

Overall I'd recommend for sure. As said, the hose is decent but it's nothing compared to the Festool smooth hose.

On a side note, I find it pretty frustrating that this has to exist. My day to day is software engineering and there's a reason we have ISO standards for various things. There should be one for dust collection, small, medium, large. Job done.

Having read this thread i have just ordered the Numatic kit and a couple of extra adaptors, a little spendy however should make life much easier. Thanks for all the info.

Mine arrived yesterday - made the mistake of ordering the one for numatic hoover fittings rather than the one with the plain end for my shop vac/cyclone… have to wait for the right one to come tomorow now.

I did have a look at the fittings and they look good, the ‘click lock’ but looks a bit flimsy, and they do sell replacements in packs of 10 for like £2 so I wonder if it’s a commonly broken piece. The fittings are a bit lengthy so I wonder how I’ll get on with that in such a small workshop As they might stick out a bit but I will see!
Having read this thread i have just ordered the Numatic kit and a couple of extra adaptors, a little spendy however should make life much easier. Thanks for all the info.

Latest posts

Back