cello chair stand

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akirk

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been asked to reproduce a cello chair stand - this is a wooden framework which folds out, the top of the ‘T’ sits behind the chair legs and then the cello spike sits in one of the holes in the upright of the ‘T’ I have been given one to copy, which is itself a rough and ready copy, but it raises a couple of questions:
- the screw in the middle of the T is used to swivel, but it literally is a screw into the wood, is there a better way of doing this which allows the pieces to swivel, but doesn‘t risk being unscrewed?
- the holes in which the spike sits gradually wear down, so when the person made this copy they put in metal cups with a screw, but this then is too raised, so the spike slips out - what method would allow the hole to be protected but still remain the same depth?
- the hinges look functional, but if anyone knows of better, such knowledge would be welcomed…

1072A69C-87AA-446B-83FA-F4C99EA98D49.jpeg
6631B245-1E36-4856-AB91-471D585DA903.jpeg
F1A20870-25E6-4EA2-82A8-E7F8DF880A90.jpeg
30C4BD0B-8480-4358-9EC4-E83458F4E09B.jpeg
E94D963B-B68A-4CF7-AA9A-0253C9FEFF0E.jpeg

Where the spike goes into the holes could be better done by having the holes going all way through and insetting a strip of metal to the underside of the wood, screwed inbetween the holes, would give more depth.
Nothing wrong in particular about the screw swivel, it just needs an old type screw with a plain shank drilled so that the wood swivels without turning the screw.
The hinges screwed into end grain were never going to last and strap type hinges let into the surfaces of the arms would be better. QED Ian

I play cello; I use a Black Hole, which has a little plastic cup. The end pin spike would wear that away, so I have a rubber cover for the spike. I'd think putting a cover on the end pin and having slightly deeper cups would work well. I can take a picture or two if you like.

Thank you both, really helpful, and, yes Sporky McGuffin, photos would be great if not too much trouble…

I can’t help you, but you have just rekindled some long forgotten memories for me. As a 13 year old (now 67) I played violin in a Leicester schools orchestra. It moved to a new venue and all the cellos had issue with th hard slippy floor. Next Saturday I turned up with a present for each of them... I‘d cut small square blocks of wood, used a countersink to make a slot for the spike. A hole in two corners to thread a length of string which went round the chair legs. Worked a treat, and I got a lovely reference a year or two later from the conductor.

No probs - let me know if there's any detail missing.

I do like the style of the one you're making; the Black Hole is good but loses stick on dusty floors, and I have two big hairy mud-magnet dogs...

Back