Celebrity woodworking

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First of all I would like to introduce myself to the site.
I am Chris and I have been making furniture and installing kitchens for the very high-end market for most of my adult life,
working with many celebrities and royalty. I have now chosen to bite the bullet and work for myself.

I have also launched a YouTube channel in hope that I can reach across the globe to not just teach but to learn woodworking tips from various cultures.

If anyone is interested in watching my channel that is launching soon then please subscribe at the link:
YouTube /channel/UCGpAROBTDe91vBTcI6V7gtQ

I hope this doesn't break any forum rules as I am genuinely excited to be part of a UK based woodworking community with similar minds.
Feel free to introduce yourself and any input and advice would be very much appreciated.

Welcome to the forum, Chris.

I am sure many people here will be interested in what you make, rather than who you make it for.

ETA.......I can't find anything with a youtube search of the above address, nor by searching on your name. You might want to have another look at the address you've given.

Hi Chris
I tried your link but could not get it to work.
I searched for your channel,via your name, but did not find anything woodworking.
What do you make and teach?

MikeG.":2cskmtb9 said:
I am sure many people here will be interested in what you make, rather than who you make it for.

+1. The 'what' is infinitely more important than the 'who' - Rob

screwpainting":2fw73tma said:
Why not post a small gallery of your past work on here Chris.

Good luck with the channel.

Arrh but it's work for a previous company, and therefore not his to show on youtube. I'd be happy for my guy's to post up work whilst they work for my company but not to promote their own business after they left.

Didn't think of that.
BUT... he might have some other stuff of his own and I want pics of bespoke prestigious stuff (homer)

Thanks everyone.

I am not allowed to upload most of my old projects as they were for a company, even though that company has shut down.

I am putting together a portfolio of things that I have made at the moment. A change in direction in my career was quite sudden so I am not mega organised just yet haha.
I have not posted any videos yet however, I will be looking to upload any videos that I have very soon and then my first real video in about a months time.

Anybody else in here in Somerset?

here is an example of the kind of things that I have been working on. As you can see, high-end clients don't always have high-end pieces

I've never understood the need to brag about making things for celebrities/royalty, I personally couldn't care less. It's the work you produce that actually matters, not who it's for.

It is not bragging, some people find it very interesting. I am always being asked about my projects because a lot of people are actually interested in that. It doesn't make me a better woodworker. The quality is no better than anyone else's work, it's just the company that I worked for took a different marketing route than some others. People like stories behind certain pieces of furniture. I have joined a forum hoping to learn more and hone my craft. The opposite of bragging, I am humble about my work.

Christopher Johns":8y2fdv69 said:
It is not bragging, some people find it very interesting. .......... People like stories behind certain pieces of furniture........

I hope you're getting the message that this particular audience isn't interested in your clients. This is a woodworking forum, so the woodwork, rather than the tittle tattle, is what we're most likely to be interested in. We're mainly a bunch of old farts who probably don't even know of most the "celebrities" you say you've worked for, let alone care.It's nice to have another pro woodworker here (there are quite a few), but don't fall into the trap of thinking that "celebrity" or "royal" has any significance for this audience, other than a tendency to raise hackles.

BTW, I'd suggest you carefully think this sort of thing through before you launch your Youtube channel, because some potential clients may well be put off by seeing the privacy of other clients compromised, were you to become a serial name-dropper in your videos.

Image looks great, interesting that you put every thing together.
I work the opposite, individual units are completed within the workshop, but I'd never put it all together till it's on site.
To me it seems like doing things twice.
Even though I have a lot of space (3600 sq ft), I just would never have enough room to put all the projects together like that.

if you actually released some content I might have a look, but until then I'm not going to sub, and I'd have to like the content to make a commitment and subscribe. I'm interested in HOW things are made, not who it's made for or the stories behind it.

Christopher Johns":12ap7hie said:
here is an example of the kind of things that I have been working on. As you can see, high-end clients don't always have high-end pieces

Not sure which my would be my bigger fantasy - the ability to make a piece like this or owning a property to accommodate it!

I too would be much more interested in the how rather than who - unless the who is Claire Grogan in which case what's her address please?

Latest posts

Back