Celebration Of Craftsmanship Exhibition, Cheltenham

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, David. I like Adam Gamble's chest. It's the period and style which I love to do.

Appropriate burl veneers and all. Well done.

Take care, Mike

Many years ago when I was at college, there was a trip organised to Cheltenham to see allot of the masterpieces of the Arts and Crafts movement made by the Barnsley's and Gimson etc, including their hand tools. One of my favourite pieces I saw that day was the oak chest with coffered lid, by Sidney Barnsley made in 1895, where the dovetails in the lid were exposed and not flushed off, but left proud deliberately. I had a decent SLR camera and shot of a whole roll of 36 exposures, took the film to be developed at Boots and guess what..........they lost the film :evil: :evil: - Rob

There is much equally good work at the show, which does not close till after next weekend.

Can't possible remember it all, Martin Grierson has a monster piece of coopered construction from one brown oak log. Mathew Burt some lovely wooden chairs, Robert Ingham, Andrew Laughton, Andrew Varrah. Andrew Skelton has an incredible ripple textured solid side table, a technique he has worked out on the spindle moulder. Some textured Japanese laquer work done by a guy from Norway. Some giant laminated ply balls which contain drawers. Waywood, Sean Feeney, and lots and lots more.

Do go if you get the chance.
David C

Is there no one who reads this forum who will see this excellent exhibition?

If so, I will stop going on about it!

David C.

Exhibitions like this is what we miss about the east coast on this side of the US. Even Chicago has better furniture exhibitions than the northwest US does. Don't even get me started about the museums...

We do hit the smaller ones out here in the west and I never fail to come away from them both in awe and a bunch of ideas.

Now if I could sprout wings...

Take care, Mike

I have manged to convince the wife that we should go if it is still on, on saturday. I gave up a days climbing so she considers this a victory to her. Shame about the no photo rule as i fancied a bit of inspiration for my next project.
I went to El Capitan two weeks ago and realized i was probably not ever going to climb it so i was a bit melancholic. Hope this isn't going to do this to me or alternatively get my wife to think it or no more tools for me :cry:

David C":1lwfy243 said:
Is there no one who reads this forum who will see this excellent exhibition? David C.

I'm going to Westonbirt on Friday David, and Cheltenham on Saturday. Perhaps I'll do a bit of networking whilst I'm there. Slainte.

Sgian,

I am working so will have to go to Westonbirt on Saturday or Sunday, will be sorry to miss you.

David

Back