Ceiling Trouble

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mudman

Established Member
Reaction score
Trying to stay in one piece in South Wales
The ceiling in our bedroom has a really bad bow in it that I think is due to the previous occupants putting two much stuff on some very thin joists in the attic. There is a tie in the attic that has come loose and I'm guessing another one has gone missing.
I want to correct the bow to the ceiling and was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the best way to do it.
I was thinking of placing timber from wall to wall on floor and ceiling then having an upright in the middle that I could 'jack' up with either a car jack or by driving in wedges. Then, when straightened out, re-install ties from the roof joists to the floor joists to keep it up. Also install a 'keel' across the joists to give it some rigidity. Trouble is that this is going to put strain on the floor as well, although I think these will be much more substantial joists, is this likely to cause me any more trouble?
Did think that an alternative may be to 'winch' the floor back into place by pulling it back up via a pulley system hung off of the roofing joists. Would this be a bad thing to do?

Has anyone else had any experience with this sort of thing? Any comments or suggestions would be most welcome and would earn me some major SWMBO points.

You could always use an acro prop they can be hired or if you know a builder you could borrow a couple . I would place the prop on a large board or plank to spread out the load. It should not be too much strain on the floor but if you want belts and braces position another prop directly below again board or plank top and bottom and just take up the strain.

You need to be real careful here - the rafters above aren't just carrying vertical load, they carry a horizontal stress load as well, so it isn't entirely straightforward to chop out a section and replace.

In opposition to advice given about jacking up from below I would suggest you do not do so. In pushing up a deformed rafter you might just transfer stress which could cause failure of the walls to the sides of the property, and that could be a potentially serious failure for the property culminating in thousands of pounds worth of rectification.

I am not qualified to offer advice about this subject - it needs someone who is familiar with building technology. I recommend you ask the question on the following web site to get qualified advice on how to proceed:

http://novoserve.no-ip.biz

Andrew

barry how much bow is in the ceiling it sounds like you have a lath and plaster ceiling jack it up with acros and refit the hangers in the loft i dont think you will push the walls out the joists are to thin ,if your not to sure get somone in to give you a free estimate .

if you were on about ceiling joists acro props are ok, if its rafters then it will be a big job and you will need to get someone in .

Thanks for the replies everyone. :D

Andrew,
Don't worry, I'm not intending to chop anything out :shock: LOML would not be happy if I managed to remove the roof from the house.

It is only ceiling joists that I have to worry about. It is a lath and plaster one and looking at the joists, I was surprised at how thin they are. The bow is quite pronounced, I haven't measured it but I think it will be significant in the middle.

I'm pretty sure that they are not effecting the structural integrity of the house so I think I'll give it a go with an acro prop and support the floor below at the same time.

As an aside, when we moved into the house, we found odd little bits of evidence that the previous occupant wasn't the handyman he said he was. When we laid new carpet in one bedroom, we lifted the carpet to find a hole in the floor covered by a street sign! Then we were decorating the hall, stairs and landing. On one wall that adjoins a bedroom, there is a full-length mirror that we could never understand why it was there. Anyway, off it comes to discover a great big hole in the wall hacked through to gain access to the floor space in the adjoining room. :shock:

Right bodger.

Barry, I agree with Andrew you have to be careful. Why not get one or two builders in to give you a quote and ask them what needs to be done and how they are going to do it. At least then you will have a better idea of what to do.

Good luck and i hope you get the problem sorted without to much trouble.

Cheers

Woody

Woody,

I will be careful, never fear! I don't start anything without a great deal of thought and investigation. I am pretty sure that the ceiling joists are safe to nudge back into position, if that is the problem. The other thing it may be apparently is that the lath and plaster has become separated from the joists and just needs gently pushing back into postion and fixing.

I like to know what needs doing before calling in somebody so that I can discuss the job with them and not be left wondering if I'm being taken for a chump (has happened once, never again).

barry if the laths have come adrift from the joists then it will have to be cut out and repaired with plaster board and a skim coat , dont forget you use the acro's to hold up the ceiling then fix the strapping in the loft space

Latest posts

Back