Ceiling mtd bed mechanism. Advice?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YorkshireDave

Established Member
Reaction score
My daughter, who is 7 is moving into a larger bedroom and we want to give her as much floor space as possible.

So, I've seen this http://www.bedup.fr/category/galerie-accessoires/?tag_url=bedup-hetre-teinte-blanc :mrgreen: and like the idea of doing something similar.

Lets face it, it'd be well cool!

Any suggestions peeps for (preferably) an electrically operated mechanism to raise and lower? This one looks like the wall mtd element runs in tracks with some form of almost 'roller blind' to let it down.

The wife doesn't yet know this is my plan... :shock:

7 year old and a motorised lowered bed.

If it was my lot the motor or electrics would be burnt out due to messing about. Injuries would happen and im sure the webbing would get stretched when then they jump up and down on it.

My other thought would be how long it takes to go up and down. I imagine it will take some time and will just end up staying down to speed up morning routines and bed time routines.

There great for a dual room or spare rooms.

Maybe look into a pair of wrench motors for the raise and fall operation and some c section metal as the runners. Or even G section and H section inside one and other.

I doubt you will be lucky enough for there to be a joist where you need to a ceiling bracket for the end of the bed so expect to have to strengthen that part of the ceiling up with a few noggins. Have legs both ends of the bed to save needing to make the wall brackets take the weight when sleeping in the bed.

Edit: A thought of the wall bracket just entered my head where it would be possible to have the bracket easily support the weight with out a leg(s) at the wall end. Just weld in a stop or have a good size bolt that stops the bracket going any further down. If that makes sense.

If it were me I'd be the same! She is however pretty good (read responsible) so apart from showing her friends Im pretty sure it would be ok. I was thinking webbing from luggage straps of say 250kg each. These could then be taken over rollers with guides and fastened to the bed end. you're right the head has to move in some sort of channel otherwise it'd float about. I was thinking ali C channel with PTFE/nylon blocks on the bed so no lube is reqd.

My biggest issue really is the electrification. Ideally id like to keep it LV (24vac max) but a cheap 230v gut buster type drill/mixer might deliver the torque off the shelf ?! I can certainly monitor the current and incorporate a safety cct so if the little darlings try to use it as a lift it simply wouldn't work. Also, if it had to be 230vac then I'd build a remote control cct for it to isolate it properly.

I'm not bothered about time up and down (pipper Id forgotten about reversing an ac motor!) so it has to be DC really - swiz! Suggestions on a post card?

Agree about the stop and the reinforcing via noggins. They are the easy bit!

Just thought. at 12v a decent motor would have to be say 150W which means a pretty hefty PSU and a proper transformer not one of these switched mode PSUs you can buy. Hmm.

You can get reversible AC motors.

I was thinking about a motor from on of these type of thing 240v Electric Winch

Also I would use a bearing/roller instead of a nylon block that will ware quicker under that load running up and down twice a day.

How about looking at bath lifts, The webbing types would need little or no modifications. All the controls are alreadt there and they are designed to take the weight.
They are expensive but often turn up on Fleabay with dead batteries (just a motorcycle battery)

James

how high are your ceilings, what about some sort of top bunk with supports fastened to the walls, appropriate guarding to prevent falling out and a ladder/steps for access, at 7 she would have full access underneath.

the other major issue with the link posted would probably be tidying up prior to bed time as there is bound to be daily debris left lying about which would prevent the bed lowering

I have 4 x 12v winches raising the electric bed in my motorhome I suspect they are quite expensive to replace

Back