Ceiling fan

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikej460

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
My wife and I have toyed with the idea of a ceiling fan in our bedroom and due the impending heat wave and probably more in future years, I've looking at them again. Does anybody have one they can recommend at all? I need one with a remote.

We have a ceiling fan, it's the manhattan purchased from Argos and has been really good. Remote works and if the remote ever goes wrong you can get the receiver and new remote unit from eBay. It is a heavy beast so I've need to put a brace on between the joist in the loft but no wobble and plenty of down draft on low. Dare not take it to high as only in a bungalow and don't want the roof lifting 😂

I don't like sleeping in a draught of air. I'll wake in the morning with a stiff neck, or shoulder. I think a fan just churns the warm air about and adds about 60W of heating to an already hot room. My daughter just got a 12000btu portable air conditioning unit. It is very good, just like in the car when the air conditioning kicks in on a really hot day. Expensive to run though. That would be a good use for solar power. I'm seriously thinking of getting one, as I do every year, but by the time I think about it the weather is cold again. In Scotland we only have a handful of days when the heat at night is uncomfortable.

Bought one a few years ago. Gave the guy the size of the bedroom he said (roughly) 3'
so I bought the 4' one. silent on all but fastest speed, does the job well, no problem over ..10 + years? I wouldn't be without it (unless I could afford ac). Really makes a difference in hot weather. Slight nuisance 'the draught', but worth it.
As with other things, you get what you pay for.

I put one in an upstairs bedroom when our first child was born. Even a low profile design is easy to bump with modern ceiling heights. Fine if you have an older property with the headroom.

Also, ours did make a low pitched hum while running. It never bothered me but my wife could hear it from the other end of the house and was glad to see it go.

How about a portable aircon / dehumidifier ? More versatile and can be put away when not needed. Also cheaper than a tumble dryer for clothes drying.

:)
Noisier than a ceiling fan definitely but better cooling and usually have thermostats / humidistats so turn themselves off. DH in a drying cupboard in the same room that had the ceiling fan is left to do it's own thing through night and gets few complaints.

We have AC as our primary heating/cooling, with wood burners on each floor as back-up heating. In the main kitchen we have two Fantasia fans as well as AC. It gets hot in the summer here and COLD in the winter: the "dangerously high" temperatures that the UK Met Office is currently warning about are normal for us and it usually gets hotter, but luckily not on our mountainside.

AC has proved to be the cheapest heating method, and the quickest. It's worth getting decent AC units (ours are all Mitsubishi Heavy, which are VERY quiet) and we overspecced ours, which in my experience means they will last a long time (one of my previous jobs included speccing cooling systems for large server rooms). The kitchen fans are useful for dispersing cooking/burning smells and being reversible allows the heat to be distributed downwards in the winter.

In the spirit of full disclosure, we're also hardy souls (or maybe cheapskates) so we very rarely heat or cool the place: 6C inside the house doesn't bother us at all in the winter and it's normal for it to be around 7 degrees cooler up here than in the centre of the city in the summer. The best investment we made was some very serious external insulation; 6C inside might sound cold to some but it really isn't when it's well below -30 outside!

Like so much we take heating for granted and years of cheap gas/oil have convinced many that they deserve to have their homes heated to 23 C.in winter.

While also claiming that global warming needs to be solved.

I don't like sleeping in a draught of air. I'll wake in the morning with a stiff neck, or shoulder. I think a fan just churns the warm air about and adds about 60W of heating to an already hot room. My daughter just got a 12000btu portable air conditioning unit. It is very good, just like in the car when the air conditioning kicks in on a really hot day. Expensive to run though. That would be a good use for solar power. I'm seriously thinking of getting one, as I do every year, but by the time I think about it the weather is cold again. In Scotland we only have a handful of days when the heat at night is uncomfortable.
Yeah, went to Scotland during the '76 heatwave, had to wear Aran sweater & coat!

Ditto, seem very good quality - ours isn't posh, just a pull cord ;-)
Our current property we did the same although it is a little noisy at full steam so swmbo recently bought a new smart one on a pedestal which was quite a chunk more expensive but has the bonus of being “whisper quiet” ,according to the blurb along with having 26? speeds…because you obviously need that many. We’re both chuffed at the lack of noise so we can use it while watching the goggle box without having to crank the tv’s volume up, and with it being portable, can then cart it off to the boudoir when it’s feathers time.

Our elder daughter was born in Aberdeenshire in the 1976 heatwave, and it was really hot. We must be a hardy lot up here if you think it was chilly!
Speaking of chilly, it is still freezing up here each winter and we rely on a woodstove for back up heating, particularly when the power lines go down. Now the eco lot are speaking of banning wood as fuel.
Last winter villagers in Braemar were had a power cut lasting for a week, and a few months later Aberdeenshire Council decided their homes had to have all fireplaces blocked off to stop the use of open fires!!

Latest posts

Back