Cedar of lebanon

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim

Established Member
Reaction score
I have some cedar of lebanon that I want to use as the base for a small box (12" x8"). It seems logical to me that if I want the aromatic impact of the cedar then I should not finish it beyond creating a smooth surface.

Am I correct in thinking that if I oil the wood (danish or finishing for example) then the cedar aroma will be removed or greatly reduced?

Is there a suitable finish that will enhance the look but not affect the smell?

Cheers

Tim

Tim
Don't finish it or (as you guessed) you lose the scent. I made a couple of drawers with cedar bottoms recently-planed them smooth and a gentle rub over with 320grit. The natural look suits it fine, and every time you open the drawers......
Well, you know,
Philly :D

tim":3oht56l8 said:
Am I correct in thinking that if I oil the wood (danish or finishing for example) then the cedar aroma will be removed or greatly reduced?

Is there a suitable finish that will enhance the look but not affect the smell?
Cheers Tim

Yes, the smell is reduced, but its also very soft, so stabalising the surface with a oil does go some way to reducing the chance of knocks and hits damaging the surface so its a balance. If you do finish it, you can restore some of the smell by rubbing down with some abrasive of some sort.

If I did it again, I'd leave it unfinished.

Adam

Back