Cedar Garden Bench Seat

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moonsafari69

Established Member
Reaction score
Here's a garden bench seat I finished off a couple of days ago. Made from some amazing pieces of Cedar and finished with Osmo UV Protection oil. Mortice and Tenon joinery. Really happy with the finished product.
Width - 190cm
Seat Height - 48cm
Seat Depth - 40cm
Arm Height - 66cm
Back Height - 88cm

1 copy.jpg

2 copy.jpg

3 copy.jpg

4 copy.jpg

5 copy.jpg

6 copy.jpg

7 copy.jpg

9 copy.jpg

10 copy.jpg

11 copy.jpg

Attachments

• 1 copy.jpg
    1 copy.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 544
  • 2 copy.jpg
    2 copy.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 560
  • 3 copy.jpg
    3 copy.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 544
  • 4 copy.jpg
    4 copy.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 570
  • 5 copy.jpg
    5 copy.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 566
  • 6 copy.jpg
    6 copy.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 544
  • 7 copy.jpg
    7 copy.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 543
  • 9 copy.jpg
    9 copy.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 563
  • 10 copy.jpg
    10 copy.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 565
  • 11 copy.jpg
    11 copy.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 543
That is really nice! I like the proportions, solid looking.

The woods and the finish are excellent indeed.

What glue did you use? And how long are you expecting the finish to hold up outdoors?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

sammy.se":6mzxia9h said:
That is really nice! I like the proportions, solid looking.

The woods and the finish are excellent indeed.

What glue did you use? And how long are you expecting the finish to hold up outdoors?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Thank you! I used Titebond III so should be ok for general weather. We have other cedar pieces in the garden that have lasted well given a sand and re-coat of finish oil every summer. Will likely move this seat into the garage over winter.
Dave.

Very fancy, too fancy for an outdoor bench, I'd put it in my living room :D

Talking of glue; I wanted to build up 4 x 4s for table legs, using cedar. I used the new Cascamite, but discovered that the cedar didn't like it and it just pulled apart. I degreased' the timber with meths, but that wasn't entirely successful. So I reverted to exterior grade Evo-stick Resin W.

Maybe the Cascamite was past its best mind, but I think I'd stick with PVA (NPI!) for cedar.

A nice bench indeed, although I would have to make it smaller. Cedar isn't a heavy timber, but as it will be around for some years Moon, you might find it a bit of a lump as time goes by! I certainly couldn't shift that now! :lol:

John (hammer)

Benchwayze":2addccph said:
Talking of glue; I wanted to build up 4 x 4s for table legs, using cedar. I used the new Cascamite, but discovered that the cedar didn't like it and it just pulled apart. I degreased' the timber with meths, but that wasn't entirely successful. So I reverted to exterior grade Evo-stick Resin W.

Maybe the Cascamite was past its best mind, but I think I'd stick with PVA (NPI!) for cedar.

A nice bench indeed, although I would have to make it smaller. Cedar isn't a heavy timber, but as it will be around for some years Moon, you might find it a bit of a lump as time goes by! I certainly couldn't shift that now! :lol:

John (hammer)

Thanks John. Fortunately I have already secured any relocating services from my wife. Strong as bull :)
Dave.

Sounds like my good lady used to be. She made 500 concrete garden blocks when I was working away , for me to lay at the weekend when I got home. That was in the 80s and they're still there straight and true as ever. Where would we be without a good lady!

John (hammer)

Back