CCL thought

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrs. sliver

Established Member
Reaction score
I have used the new lathe a little now, and will do a report on my thoughts, but, as you know I don't do mechanics and spec! I have staff for that :lol: in t' form of sliver and mitch 2407, who is new to the site but not to our workshop.

I found it to be a good solid lathe. the concerns I had were- is it was sturdy enough? distance between centres and speeds.
Well it IS solid, the bed length is no problem because with the rotating head and and a floor standing tool rest it would be possible to turn a table top! I have yet to try anything heavy and unbalanced, but the difference in lowest speed is only 20, the draper being 480 and the CCL 500 so I can't see it being a vast amount different, I will find that out next time.
The top speed difference is a bigger gap! the draper is 3010 the CCL only 2000. however, I haven't found this to be a great problem, though obviously 3010 would have been nice!

Gripes? I found the tool rest too high to get a good bevel contact on small items, and sliver made me a new one and it is fine now.
The headstock cannot be locked into place.
The fastener under the tool rest tends to work lose now and then.

But, all in all I am pleased with it.
:D
f00f01db.jpg

Mrs Sliver wrote
The fastener under the tool rest tends to work lose now and then.
Chas came up with a solution to this problem,which seems to be on all Perform lathes,and i think it was to make a wooden washer with a tight diameter hole driled in the middle and pushed onto the threaded bolt,under the nut.Or you could put a Nyloc nut on.
Glad you are pleased with the new lathe,just keep producing nice pieces like that one :D

Val, get your mechanic to check the tapered chunks of metal that the headstock clamping bolt passes through and screws into at the back of the headstock.
It may need a bit of judicial file attention to get it to seat adequately on the lathe body so that it pulls down on the taper collar.

As Paul says, turn yourself a disc of wood about 20mm thick just small enough in outer diameter to pass along the bed slot at the saddle clamp nut height. (There is an annoying casting flash about half way along the bed that may need dressing) bore a hole in the washer just big enough to allow the nut to be forced in. (squeeze in vice) much easier to give the nut a quarter turn or so when needed.

mrs. sliver":3cn2srvl said:
I found it to be a good solid lathe. the concerns I had were- is it was sturdy enough? distance between centres and speeds.
Well it IS solid.

I sort of had similar concerns. Mine arrived from Axminster this afternoon... I was surprised how big a lump it is!

Well... the stand is assembled, and the lathe is out of its box on the floor at the moment, waiting for #1 son to get home to help me lift it. Or maybe I'll wait for #2 son to arrive too.... and they can do it instead of me. :wink:

Rod

If you start doing big lumps of wood or out of balance ones, especially over the side, make sure that you either have the stand bolted down or some heavy weights on it. Mine use to like to do a highland jig across the floor in protest. Also, make sure that you lubricate regularly or the speed control mechanism can seize up. DASMHIK :oops: :oops:

Enjoy, we look forward to seeing some of your creations on your new toy :lol:

Pete

RodN":2mq55opu said:
Well... the stand is assembled, ...
Rod

A serious hint, if you have any intentions of putting a shelf across the horizontal supports do it now before the lathe is fitted.
Impossible to fit a single piece board in there because of the taper once all the bolts are in.

Mrs, S, I found that if you get a piece of cloth and some white spirit or thinners , and give the underside of the bed a good rub it takes all the grease that the makers lash on to these machines and the tail stock will grip better. Dont forget the piece that tightens the tailstock as well .Best of luck, long may it wear. REgards Boysie

I phrased that wrong! I didn't mean to say the tailstock won't lock! I meant the tailstock spindle dosen't lock like on the draper :oops:

My 'staff' put me a shelf underneath, and had to unbolt a leg to get it in.
Rod, as far as getting your 'boys' to assemble the thing for you? can't fault you there! it is nice to have good staff! :lol:

Tell me... I wonder if yours has the same "feature" as mine....

Put a centre in the headstock and the tailstock, and bring them together point to point....

How far out of true is it???
Mine has the headstock end of the centre about 1/4" out towards the back (height is OK).

The only way that I can get them aligned is to NOT let the headstock rotate into the indent pin..... and then tighten it up.

Rod

If I were you Rod I would start a new thread on that problem because mine lines up pretty well bang on, and I sure the learned gentlemen of this forum can advise you on it.

RodN":x4qmzw2c said:
Tell me... I wonder if yours has the same "feature" as mine....

Put a centre in the headstock and the tailstock, and bring them together point to point....

Mine has the headstock end of the centre about 1/4" out towards the back (height is OK).

The only way that I can get them aligned is to NOT let the headstock rotate into the indent pin..... and then tighten it up.

Rod

Rod do you have a chuck? if so clamp a straight piece of rod/tube or at a pinch thick dowel in the jaws and see if it lines up with the bed ways.

If it does it may be that your tailstock is not aligned with the bed and it is this needs addressing not the headstock locating ring.

Another way to check:

Align the two up as you think correct, with no centres in headstock or tailstock look though the spindle and tailstock centre holes to see if they align (you may need someone to hold torch one end)

Either way, if it is out, you need to communicate with axminster customer services before you take any drastic action.

Although perfect alignment on a lathe this basic is possibly a bit much to expect, a 1/4" is too far out for you to be able to drill holes etc. with any accuracy

RodN":x2riz4zo said:

Rod

Hi Rod,

My CCL is aligned pretty much bang on. There is a very slight mis-alignment of about 0.25-0.5 mm but certainly nothing in the 1/4 inch region. Hope you get yours sorted - I would follow the advice above and talk to Axminster.

mrs. sliver":2pj00isc said:
My 'staff' put me a shelf underneath, and had to unbolt a leg to get it in.
Rod, as far as getting your 'boys' to assemble the thing for you? can't fault you there! it is nice to have good staff! :lol:

Young fellas have backs a lot stronger than mine!

As for the shelf.... I'll now have the opportunity to do that, but I think I may make a two piece shelf anyway, with a slot along the centre rather like a "chisel rack" to hold turning tools. At least that's the thought. We'll see how it goes. :roll:

Rod

oh don't worry about 'hijacknig' Rod! to me threads go the way they go :)

I only ment that your promblem could get missed if buried inside this post but another one with a direct question would get the attention of all the lathe boffins :lol:

I hope you get it sorted out!

f00f01db.jpg

That thing's cool, Mrs S ... is it hollow, with a lid ?

Its got a very 'middle eastern' look to it...
a Camel and the 'Dance of the seven veils' going on beside it wouldn't look out of place ! 8) :wink:

What sort of 'actual dimensions' does it approximate ? It looks like a 'big 'un' !
I really like it ! 8) 8) 8) 8)

Thanks . Yes it is hollow Jenx and is about 20cm tall. and comes in handy for storing stray camels in :lol:

these are the others I did on it

8d05cfeb.jpg
1abf1a7c.jpg

this is an 'uplighter' looks quite good in the dark.
c1efac83.jpg
I think this one needs a 'knob' on the top.
84d5970c.jpg
Before you ask, it is a tree paperweight!
f24ab681.jpg
and these are WIP's of snow families.

Back