CBN wheel recommendation.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rorschach

Reaction score
I have decided to upgrade to a CBN wheel. I have the axminster 8" slow grinder which currently has a 30mm wheel on it. The spindle is either 18mm or 32mm depending on if you use the bushing or not. Supplier recommendations?

I will be sharpening HSS (metal) lathe tools mostly. I currently use a 120grit wheel, should I go for the same in CBN?

Anything? My google searches have not been very helpful as the results are heavily US skewed, even when adding UK to the search terms.

For a while Lee Valley here sold a 1 hp Rikon slow speed grinder with CBN wheels and tool rests as a package aimed at turners. It had an 80 grit and a 180 grit wheel on it. A 120 grit could probably serve in a single wheel setup.

Perte

Are the Axminster variants no good? Abtec do some but I remember them being quite narrow.

Just remembered that toolpost used to carry some, may be worth a call to Beaufortink (who’s taken over for some items) to see if they are going to continue supplying?

Just remembered that toolpost used to carry some, may be worth a call to Beaufortink (who’s taken over for some items) to see if they are going to continue supplying?

Axminster are out of stock and I don't think what they had was suitable anyway.

I'll try Beaufortink, they don't list anything on their site though.

I've been quite happy with the Axminster CBN wheel (180G 32mm). Got it in the summer- had to wait weeks for stock to arrive

Back