CATIO PLANS

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hog&bodge

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all sorry not been around but life and work...lol
I need to build a cat run play area.
Have any of you good members built one or have any plans drawing of one.
This project need to be built as the owner will not let her cats out & I feel they are missing out
not being in the sunshine, wind or rain.
could build a basic box covered in wire but I think it could be alot better than that.
Just picked up a good compressor and brad/staple gun to speed up the build.
Have lots of T & L brackets, hinges, nails, screws and staples ect leftover from other jobs, even got hold of a
couple of logs and tree limbs to put in the area.
I could wing it but I work better with a plan, would not waste any wood that way
So can anyone help...please...lol

So, an outdoor enclosure for domestic cats.

I have just googled outdoor enclosure for cats. Many results! Image search, below.

Things you need to decide:
1. Is this a permanent structure or does it need to be dismantled/broken up into modules/stored away when not in use?
2. Based on the answer to 1, how much space do you have for it to occupy once complete?
3. Again, based on answer to 1, does it need standing headroom for humans, or just cats? (If the cats won't come out you may have to go in on hands and knees to get them, if the roof is low.)

Look at the pictures. Do some thinking. But I really don't think you need a plan to follow from someone else. You can make your own quite simply. None of these structures are complicated. It's basically a framework not unlike that of a shed, but lighter and with mesh over it instead of cladding, same as most animal enclosures.

outdoor enclosure for cats - Google Search

You could also look at aviaries. Might get a plan/construction guide for an aviary. A walk-in one would be identical to many of these catios, just need to add shelves instead of perches!

I made a chicken run last summer 12' x6' x6'

2x2 timber all-round braving in the corners. 5 uprights.

One end has the coop and the other end has two 6' X3' doors again out of 2x2 timber.

Cheers James

I made one for a customer, a few years ago about 20' by 10' by 6' high.
I made it out of 50 by 38mm hit and miss carcassing well braced at corners etc and covered with chicken wire.

Put a few logs, high walkways and plastic barrel hideouts in.

Customer was delighted but in hindsight 50 by 38 wasn't really heavy enough.

So, an outdoor enclosure for domestic cats.

I have just googled outdoor enclosure for cats. Many results! Image search, below.

Things you need to decide:
1. Is this a permanent structure or does it need to be dismantled/broken up into modules/stored away when not in use?
2. Based on the answer to 1, how much space do you have for it to occupy once complete?
3. Again, based on answer to 1, does it need standing headroom for humans, or just cats? (If the cats won't come out you may have to go in on hands and knees to get them, if the roof is low.)

Look at the pictures. Do some thinking. But I really don't think you need a plan to follow from someone else. You can make your own quite simply. None of these structures are complicated. It's basically a framework not unlike that of a shed, but lighter and with mesh over it instead of cladding, same as most animal enclosures.

outdoor enclosure for cats - Google Search

You could also look at aviaries. Might get a plan/construction guide for an aviary. A walk-in one would be identical to many of these catios, just need to add shelves instead of perches!
You know I did not think of looking up aviary.
Most if not all sites want cash for the plans.It is going to be a perminent structure and she is quite large so will have to make the door wide,ish for some reason she wants a double door system, open one, close, open the other. Think she is scared they might run off.
It will be placed on a lawn with say tent hooks keeping it firm to the ground, I think that might keep int from blowing off.

I made one for a customer, a few years ago about 20' by 10' by 6' high.
I made it out of 50 by 38mm hit and miss carcassing well braced at corners etc and covered with chicken wire.

Put a few logs, high walkways and plastic barrel hideouts in.

Customer was delighted but in hindsight 50 by 38 wasn't really heavy enough.
Will have to be a bit smaller than that, Was thinking of bracing the corners with some left over marine ply I have left over from another job. Was not sure what type of wire to use but if your customer was happy chicken wire it is, and it's cheaper. lol
I know I have to make some cat houses out of marine ply.
Thanks for the advice...

You may also need to be clear whether you want an attractive piece of "quality" urban design, or what looks like a bit of repurposed shanty town.

A purely personal view - it would annoy me massively to look out of the lounge windows at a mess of poor quality timber, covered with galvanised mesh, grass and weeds growing high as I can't get the lawnmower inside.

You may also need to be clear whether you want an attractive piece of "quality" urban design, or what looks like a bit of repurposed shanty town.

A purely personal view - it would annoy me massively to look out of the lounge windows at a mess of poor quality timber, covered with galvanised mesh, grass and weeds growing high as I can't get the lawnmower inside.
I am with you no that Terry, going to lay some astro turf round the cat enclosure keep the weeds down & on the inside will use different grades of gravel,sand and real grass. with a bit of luck they will use the sand as a toilet if not she will need to put a cat litter tray in.
It is all down to the money she is willing to put into it.
I have looked at catios & the price is outrageous for what they are, most are just cheap timber and chicken wire.

You know I did not think of looking up aviary.
Most if not all sites want cash for the plans.It is going to be a perminent structure and she is quite large so will have to make the door wide,ish for some reason she wants a double door system, open one, close, open the other. Think she is scared they might run off.
It will be placed on a lawn with say tent hooks keeping it firm to the ground, I think that might keep int from blowing off.

Don't rely on tent hooks. Use proper ground anchors drilled into flag stones (which would be a useful foundation to keep the frame out of the moisture). Better yet, and cheaper than most anchors, get four post anchors Drive-in Post Anchor 50 x 50 x 450mm

If you have flags, you can run them around the perimeter to keep the bottom of the frame dry, and have a gravel trap/soak-away in the middle. Lift the turf inside before building (reuse it elsewhere?).

Will have to be a bit smaller than that, Was thinking of bracing the corners with some left over marine ply I have left over from another job. Was not sure what type of wire to use but if your customer was happy chicken wire it is, and it's cheaper. lol
I know I have to make some cat houses out of marine ply.
Thanks for the advice...

Going to be small for something with an airlock door arrangement (as found in most aviaries, coincidentally) and that will have a large person walking around in. Bear in mind that cats are athletic. Many of the pictures I linked to earlier show multiple levels of platforms and ramps connecting them. It's not a dog run, it's a cat "climb". So it might be feasible.

How will the cats get into the thing, given the owner's obvious concerns about escape? Will they be carried out to it? I wonder if a more reliable and stronger, and slightly cheaper, construction could be made by building it around the back door (again, see the pictures for examples). You need one less wall, the house helps hold it up and it might be able to sit on a patio or other hard-standing. Plus, cats can just be let straight in to it, and owner can use the airlock door to access the garden without releasing them.

Going to be small for something with an airlock door arrangement (as found in most aviaries, coincidentally) and that will have a large person walking around in. Bear in mind that cats are athletic. Many of the pictures I linked to earlier show multiple levels of platforms and ramps connecting them. It's not a dog run, it's a cat "climb". So it might be feasible.

How will the cats get into the thing, given the owner's obvious concerns about escape? Will they be carried out to it? I wonder if a more reliable and stronger, and slightly cheaper, construction could be made by building it around the back door (again, see the pictures for examples). You need one less wall, the house helps hold it up and it might be able to sit on a patio or other hard-standing. Plus, cats can just be let straight in to it, and owner can use the airlock door to access the garden without releasing them.
Was thinking of using a window at the side of the house, Its just big enough for the cats to come and go, will link it to the area via a wire enclosed walkway, that way they can just come and go. The window is never open have had a look it is painted shut so they she has no problems with me using it
Have found a guy near me who has built a very big aviary so will go and see what his is like. He has used 3x2, lots of staples and a good wire mesh. I am hoping she will opt for the plastic coated green mesh.
It has to be away from the house so it will be in the sun and shade. The back of the house is always in the shade. The front is not big enough for one, well a small window cat box one but I want them to have some exercise if you know what I mean.

Was thinking of using a window at the side of the house, Its just big enough for the cats to come and go, will link it to the area via a wire enclosed walkway, that way they can just come and go. The window is never open have had a look it is painted shut so they she has no problems with me using it
Have found a guy near me who has built a very big aviary so will go and see what his is like. He has used 3x2, lots of staples and a good wire mesh. I am hoping she will opt for the plastic coated green mesh.
It has to be away from the house so it will be in the sun and shade. The back of the house is always in the shade. The front is not big enough for one, well a small window cat box one but I want them to have some exercise if you know what I mean.

If you make the enclosed walkway out of mesh, remember to include a "cat walk"!
1624998379321.png

Sorry. Couldn't resist! :LOL:

I just clicked this to find out what a Catio was. Now I know and am a little confused as to why you wouldn't let them outside, it seems a bit mean.

It reminds me of someone I know who lived in the USA before coming here.
They had a lovely cat they brought with them but he could not go outside because he had his claws removed by his original owner.
Apparently this is allowed over there!
I was amazed, they have intentionally disabled the poor thing.

Ollie

I just clicked this to find out what a Catio was. Now I know and am a little confused as to why you wouldn't let them outside, it seems a bit mean.
I have a cat which roams freely. But it still spends most of it's time curled up on the sofa.

I got it from a rescue centre a few years ago.
I signed a contract with the centre which among other things said the cat remains the property of the centre for good but I have responsibility for looking after it.
One stipulation is that it not be caged.

some Pedigree cats are very valuable, one Of my clients thinks nothing of paying £1800.00 for a cat, or several in her case. Their whole garden is fenced in so the cats can’t get out. She is worried they’ll be stolen If they roam freely as they are all extremely friendly

I have a cat which roams freely. But it still spends most of it's time curled up on the sofa.

I got it from a rescue centre a few years ago.
I signed a contract with the centre which among other things said the cat remains the property of the centre for good but I have responsibility for looking after it.
One stipulation is that it not be caged.
Think people should read all the thread before posting. No one is caging an animal. They will be free to come and go as they please.
I am only giving the cats an option to go outside and not be cooped up in a house all day.

Last edited:

It reminds me of someone I know who lived in the USA before coming here.
They had a lovely cat they brought with them but he could not go outside because he had his claws removed by his original owner.
Apparently this is allowed over there!
I was amazed, they have intentionally disabled the poor thing.

Ollie
Hi Ollie the cats are not mine they belong to a woman who will not let them out.
I do not agree with keeping cats dogs in doors all day and night so I suggested I will build her a catio/play area, this way the cats get to go out and she will not have to worry about them running away.

I do not see the problem It is a big win win for the cats...lol

Wow do people still mutilate their cats by removing their claws.
The gov need to have it stoped, make it against the law.

My good old boy doggo keeps ripping his dew claw up when playing so we took him to the vet to have it stitched back in place. The vet told us it was against the law to have dew claws removed now, but in his opinion we should have his removed as he had ripped it over 5 times.
Other than medical reasons no way should pets be declawed.

(I can't help but reference kittyland daycare from the Trailer Park Boys, but none here should look it up on youtube if they're afraid of profanity).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back