Catch for old cot

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Bear

Established Member
Reaction score
Posting this on behalf of a friend.

They have an old cot they want to use once their baby is born. Trouble is one of the catches that hold the side up is missing. I haven't seen the cot myself but these are photos of whats missing from the other side.

Anyone know where to buy a replacement? If no longer made is there a modern equivilent that could be used?

Sarahcotphoto2.jpg

Sarahcotphoto1.jpg

Sarahcotphoto3.jpg

Cheers

Mark

I guess the silence means nobody has one. It's not likely to be something offered to the DIY trade these days.
Looking at it though, and trying to remember how a cot works, I presume the whole thing swings on the screw, so the side is lifted and then the catch swung in under it.
It would be challenging to make an exact copy in metal, but if you start with a small block of wood, I think you could make an equivalent by screwing/ epoxying pieces of metal onto it, and each one would need no more than a single bend, which is easily done in a vice or just with pliers.

I would have thought the only way you would get one of those now, they are 60s era, is to try and find an old broken one, ebay / car-boot, and salvage the catch, maybe put wanted add in the local newspaper, try and find an drop-side cot.
If that is an original they are using, I would check what type of paint is on it, remember they used to use lead in the paint then.

Andy

I made a cot for my nephew 20 years ago and used the same fitting in plastic.

When my daughter was born 18 months ago we got the cot back from a friend of mine but these had been lost.

I managed to track them down from this company http://www.pramsnthings.com/cot--cotbed ... s-66-c.asp

They are no longer listed on his site and I know he was getting low on them then, but it may be worth giving him a ring to see if he still has a few.

Tom

Yes Andy you are dead right about the action - they were common in the 70's when my girls were babies.
A very simple and effective system.
Sorry cannot help with the fixing - we gave our cot away many moons ago.

Rod

looks a simple enough bit of tin bashing use a wooden block as a former and tap metal over it in the vise. You have the other one (mirror image) for dimensions.

Thanks for the replys

I don't live near enough to help them out making one. I'll drop pramsandthings a line.

Failing that is there a modern equivalent that they could replace them all with?

Mark

Back