Castors for under bed drawers on carpet?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug71

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to make a couple of under bed storage drawers which will be on a carpeted floor (thickish carpet), just wondered if anyone knows what the best type of castors are in this situation?
I have read that hard plastic or metal are better on carpet as they cut through the pile :dunno:

Obviously non swivel castors and it doesn't matter if they fit under the drawer or on the sides.

Also wondered if it would work just as well putting the drawer on a couple of "skis" instead of castors?

Anybody out there already done this and found the best solution?

Thanks, Doug

Castors leave deep marks.
Best is flat pads like skis. Wood alone might do it depending on the weight - just a smooth flat plywood bottom with rounded edges, or you could use low friction PTFE (Teflon) sheet skis. Widely available e.g. PTFE Sheet 8mm to 12mm thick

Last edited:
Go to the local supermarket and get some cheap plastic chopping boards rough side glued to unit smooth side down??

For a thickish carpet I'd use some 4 or 6" diameter wheels attached to the drawer sides.
Something like a scooter wheel.

I don't envy your predicament; any thing (wheels / sliders) will sink into a deepish carpet with any great weight on top of them. Whatever you could use will leave track marks in carpet over time which won't go away.

Your customer may live to regret trying to keep their carpet entact at the expense of boxing in the drawers and using slides instead. I'm not helping, am I :geek:

Thanks for the suggestions chaps.

I don't envy your predicament; any thing (wheels / sliders) will sink into a deepish carpet with any great weight on top of them. Whatever you could use will leave track marks in carpet over time which won't go away.

Your customer may live to regret trying to keep their carpet entact at the expense of boxing in the drawers and using slides instead. I'm not helping, am I :geek:

@Nelsun I totally agree.

It's a bit of a budget job, trying to make the best use of a small space. The customer has bought a slightly shorter than normal mattress to fit between 2 walls which will make the room more usable but means they can't get a bed off the shelf. I'm doing a wardrobe for them and said "yeah I can sort the bed" to help them out :rolleyes:

2 pairs of decent length drawer slides will probably be about £90 plus a bit more joinery needed on the bed to accommodate them will be more than they want to spend but will make a much better job.

I will probably end up going down the drawer slide route and undercharge them so I'm happy with the job, I'm no business man 😕

What about a small plinth with edges (to act as drawer guides) and plastic "skis"?

I did something vaguely similar (using spare skateboard rails) which has worked remarkably well. The *ahem* top design feature is never seen but consists of 2 tapering wedges at the back to guide the drawer into a centred position as you slide it back in. Yes, it was a bargain-basement solution but, in my defence, it worked.

Back