Cast Steel Chisels with dodgy handles

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bean

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks I am a bit of a stranger to these shores but I have a question I think only you can answer, and I guess its been asked a thousand times before.

I have just come into possesion of a roll of Cast steel chisels from the 20's and 30's being both my Grandfarthers and farthers. Mostly mortise chisels which is very good as I only have bevel chisels at the moment. Anyway my question, some of the handles are broken and I was thinking of replacing them can they be bought or is it best to turn some ?

Bean

Bean,

Making them yourself gives you greatest control, satisfaction and economy, but you can buy them too. If they're oval bolstered mortise chicels, you'll have to make your own handles anyway.

Cheers, Alf

Bean,
There is no particular requirement for chisel handles to be round and it is very easy to plane up octagonal handles for example, or carve them any shape you fancy. If you want ferrules - again, not essential, it is easier to deal with a short cylindrical section to fit them if you plan to use copper or brass tubing - but this can be fashioned quite easily with a rasp, or turn a short section like that in a drill press.

The originals are round with a large radiused undercut towards the front of the handle. I may turn some to see what I get. i do not feel that i want to slavishly copy the originals.

Waterhead I have a good sized center lathe so the ferrels if required are no problem. I dont think i would want them though. One of the cast chisels has one fitted and that will remain.

I will try to post some photo's if I get a chance.

Bean

Back