Cast iron - off the wall question!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AJB Temple":1de8qo0d said:
Here is a picture. The surface rust is minimal as far as I can see. This is from overwintering. I will fish one out tomorrow (couldn't be bothered to shift the wine just now) and run a sander over it with some wet and dry.

I ask only because (and apologies if you already know this), I've generally found 220 grit or so when drawfiling the scuzz off of old cast iron infill plane sides to be OK as a finish. Even on those small planes, anything more glossy and it just becomes eons before every single mark is out (and there's always a couple of stubborn pits that end up as black marks).

Then, every silica based piece of dirt you come by will mark up whatever your finish level is. Even to get to 600 may be a tall order.

I haven't got a great idea for your use - having something substantial and durable is always nice and it's a shame if they can't be used. Anything nifty and labor intensive (like cladding in stainless) would quickly become untenable because of the cost of small amounts of new stock.

Thanks. I have no idea about finishing cast iron, but I have seen Wallace's threads and his work. So I thought I would just make something that is a talking piece. When I get chance I will do some work on one. Today I could do with cutting some mortice joints in my island table as I have 28 to do.

I doubt there is much demand for them as reasonably priced granite plate have cornered the market now and don't suffer the same problems that cast iron do.

Use them as you wish, they would be scrapped otherwise.

Back