Cast iron corrosion

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fanous

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how many people are aware, but this product is a god sent mirracle to prevent any corrosion...

ACF-50 - if you can, Highly reccomend to buy. Got to know it through motorbikes, but it was developed for aviation first. It 'soaks' into the metal, kills corosion if present, and prevenst corrosion to appear.

I'm now using it for my chisels, Jointer tables, and whatever I find in a need of protection. I've got no association to the company, just sharing what I like.

I use it for the same and on my Defender. It's great stuff, I wipe it on my bandsaw table then use machine wax over the top and it works a treat.

I use it for the same and on my Defender. It's great stuff, I wipe it on my bandsaw table then use machine wax over the top and it works a treat.
I've started getting corrosion on my Defender side steps; I'm going to have to try this.

Never heard of this stuff - have just ordered some - thanks. I have tiny rust stains on my bandsaw bed. I also have tiny spots on my veritas shoulder plane. Anyone see why I should not use this on hand planes. Thanks Chris.

+1 for ACF-50.
I used it on planes, bandsaw, tablesaw etc before they all went into storage for 6 years (worked abroad). They came out as good as they went in! Needs good ventilation when used (as do most things)

There is no point buying the aerosols as you will discover so many places where it works really well that you should buy the 4 litre bottle in the first place.
The problem with that is you will then use it a bit more thickly than would have come out of the aerosol (more and longer lasting protection right?), so you should have bought several of the 4 litres in the first place :)
Squirt it on a rag first may be a wallet saving idea :)

There is no point buying the aerosols as you will discover so many places where it works really well that you should buy the 4 litre bottle in the first place.
The problem with that is you will then use it a bit more thickly than would have come out of the aerosol (more and longer lasting protection right?), so you should have bought several of the 4 litres in the first place :)
Squirt it on a rag first may be a wallet saving idea :)

I personally bought a litre bottle that came with a small empty hand pump / atomiser. I've used the atomiser on my bike, as it's just too busy place to do with a rag. But on my tools, I just apply with a paper towel or a rag. Works OK.

For those new to this product, make sure to shake well before use!

Felder sell a coating, made by Castrol I believe. I haven't been using it for long but it seems to work well and sold specifically for woodworking machinery.

I don't know anything about ACF-50; maybe it is excellent at preventing rust. However, I get very suspicious when I read advertising claims like "it kills rust" and "it neutralises salt". Rust is not alive and so cannot be killed. Salt can not be neutralised as it is neither acidic or alkaline. The rust enhancing properties of salt depend on it dissolving in water and forming an electrolyte which allows electric current to flow more easily (reduces electrical resistance) and thereby allows the (redox) chemical reaction which is called "rusting" to occur faster. So, if ACF-50 excludes water from the iron atoms of the metal then it will prevent (further) rusting; but then many hydrocarbon based products will do that. Maybe ACF-50 is very good, but I'm immediately put off by spurious claims like "kills rust" and "neutralises salt".

I don't know anything about ACF-50; maybe it is excellent at preventing rust. However, I get very suspicious when I read advertising claims like "it kills rust" and "it neutralises salt". Rust is not alive and so cannot be killed. Salt can not be neutralised as it is neither acidic or alkaline. The rust enhancing properties of salt depend on it dissolving in water and forming an electrolyte which allows electric current to flow more easily (reduces electrical resistance) and thereby allows the (redox) chemical reaction which is called "rusting" to occur faster. So, if ACF-50 excludes water from the iron atoms of the metal then it will prevent (further) rusting; but then many hydrocarbon based products will do that. Maybe ACF-50 is very good, but I'm immediately put off by spurious claims like "kills rust" and "neutralises salt".
Agreed, many marketing claims are weird if you’ve done a bit of science at school, reminds me of the snake oil claims of a couple of centuries ago, it was mostly mineral oil, that’s good for stopping rust too

I've had quite a few problems this summer with rust, had to clean up all my planes even though they are in a tool chest, quite annoying, mainly the soles and cast iron parts, might have to get some ACF-50.

Rust on the metal front bumper of my camper was no longer rust coloured after a few treatments over maybe a month or so, in use, in winter. No brushing, nothing done to remove what was there before. If you don't apply any for perhaps six months outside you it may start rusting again. The fins on my beemer boxer engine were in quite good shape after a winter of commuting with the occasional application.

I got sold when I saw a youtube using this to protect his motorbikes. He talked a bit about this product, where it's used mainly and similar. But he wanted to know how much protection he's actually getting. So he took two simple iron nails from the same box, treated one with ACF-50, left the other bear, and left it outside to get some rain on it. The results spoke for themselves. One red nail, and the other nice and shiny. And what's best, we all can do this simple test at home.

What I do know, he was re-applying on his bike every second wash or so. So it's not one and done. But it's plenty good for what I need.

I got sold when I saw a youtube using this to protect his motorbikes. He talked a bit about this product, where it's used mainly and similar. But he wanted to know how much protection he's actually getting. So he took two simple iron nails from the same box, treated one with ACF-50, left the other bear, and left it outside to get some rain on it. The results spoke for themselves. One red nail, and the other nice and shiny. And what's best, we all can do this simple test at home.

What I do know, he was re-applying on his bike every second wash or so. So it's not one and done. But it's plenty good for what I need.
So one untreated piece of iron, and one with a corrosion inhibitor, and one was better?

You gotta try paint, it’s freaking awesome!

Rust on the metal front bumper of my camper was no longer rust coloured after a few treatments over maybe a month or so, in use, in winter. No brushing, nothing done to remove what was there before. If you don't apply any for perhaps six months outside you it may start rusting again. The fins on my beemer boxer engine were in quite good shape after a winter of commuting with the occasional application.
Surely your bumper wasn't cast iron? That'd be a first.

Back