Case hardening in timber

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Valhalla

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought some European oak boards a while ago and they've been sitting in my workshop for about 3 weeks. On Friday I cut two short lengths from an 8ft board to make some bookmatched end panels. The board was 27mm thick so I aimed for a centre cut. The aim was to end up with 4x10mm panels (or thereabouts).

After running the boards through the bandsaw - well the picture tells it all. The question is - is this case hardening (based on some research on the web) or my stupidity? My bandsaw is properly set up and I used a high-sided guide to run the boards against. The boards were planed 1 face flat and 1 edge square and I could see the board bowing and cupping as I ran it through the saw. Just as the saw came through the end of the board there was a cracking sound, but the board was not split.

Answers on a postcard.........

Cheers Dno

Attachments

• Case-hardened oak.jpg
    Case-hardened oak.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 42
Deepening timber can always be a bit risky, let's out alot of the timbers tensions. Where they air dried?

Adidat

I bought some European oak boards a while ago and they've been sitting in my workshop for about 3 weeks. On Friday I cut two short lengths from an 8ft board to make some bookmatched end panels. The board was 27mm thick so I aimed for a centre cut. The aim was to end up with 4x10mm panels (or thereabouts).

After running the boards through the bandsaw - well the picture tells it all. The question is - is this case hardening (based on some research on the web) or my stupidity? My bandsaw is properly set up and I used a high-sided guide to run the boards against. The boards were planed 1 face flat and 1 edge square and I could see the board bowing and cupping as I ran it through the saw. Just as the saw came through the end of the board there was a cracking sound, but the board was not split.

Answers on a postcard.........

Cheers Dno

Unfortunately it's pretty typical of attempting to deep boards

Kiln dried timber is dried quite harshly and boards often have tension because drawing moisture out means there will be a moisture gradient through the board with the centre slightly higher than the faces....causing tension.

It doesn't look like case hardening to me - that's more common in American white oak and thicker boards.

You would stand a much better chance of resawing if it were quartersawn stock you were slicing.
Not that it's any guarantee, but a better bet.
All the best

Back