Cascamite WBP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We’re considering introducing Aerolite One Shot into our production process but are a bit worried about exposure risks. Urea Formaldehyde is a known irritant and also from the little reading I’ve done a known carcinogen Probably fine for occasional exposure but not sure about frequent use. Just wondering other peoples thoughts on this and what they consider best practice.

We’re having a lot of trouble getting reliably flat or even flat-ish 9mm birch ply for panels and have taken to laminating 2 sheets of reduced 6mm (run through wide belt sander) and then bag pressing to create the required 9mm. The results with titebond cold press veneer glue have thus far been pretty good but was wondering if the aerolite might give more reliable long term results..? I realise that 9mm mdf might offer a flatter panel but for various reasons mdf is not an option..

I've just bought some Aerolite for a small job next week. I hope I'm not going to be disappointed!!

I did the same yesterday and tried it last night - way better than the Cascamite I bought a coupe of weeks ago. Set sufficiently to remove clamps after 5 hours (in a cold garage) and was properly cured this morning (remnants in the pot were like glass).

I think you will be pleased with it !

Dave

Well, if lockdown happens in the next ten minutes I don't think I will need to try this!!!

Does this one shot come in anything smaller? I have a small chest to glue up this week and it will need a long open time because of all the box joints and panels to get in place. i'm reluctant as a hobbyist to splash out £50 on something im really not going to use often

Does this one shot come in anything smaller? I have a small chest to glue up this week and it will need a long open time because of all the box joints and panels to get in place. i'm reluctant as a hobbyist to splash out £50 on something im really not going to use often
Do you ever come past M4 J16 ? I'm close to that and can give you a small quantity to suit your requirements. My recent purchase of 3Kg will go off before I use it all.

Do you ever come past M4 J16 ? I'm close to that and can give you a small quantity to suit your requirements. My recent purchase of 3Kg will go off before I use it all.
Thats very generous, i could certainly make a journey..its not like i get out much these days :)

I was about to swear at my screen as i placed an order with isaac lord yesterday, but alas its on backorder

Not a problem - I'm new to this forum and not sure how I can share contact details with you directly. Is there a personal messaging facility?

Cheers

Dave

From the scuttlebutt I've seen, it appears that the original supplier of an integral chemical compund is not longer able to supply due to war/economics/pestilence (take your pick) and it now has to be sourced elsewhere and is no where near the same quality/purity etc and what you have been able to get from the start of the year as a finished product has basically been complete pap. Cascamite's makers appear to be using the ostrich approach to customer care regarding feedback.

Can't say more than that as I haven't been out the house nor in the workshop properly for about a year now and so if I had had any about all i could have done was sniff it (out of mind numbing boredom)
Steady now Droogs!

Hi all,

This is the first time posting on here for me and I have a question. Is anyone else really struggling to get hold of Cascamite? Specifically the Water and Boil Proof stuff? It's the main glue I use in my work and I'm pretty stuck without it. It's sold out everywhere I look at the moment. I'm guessing the issue is due to the pandemic in some way, obviously. Does anyone have any ideas where you might be able to get some? Or is it going to be more of a "wait and see" kind of thing?

Cheers!
Be careful with Polyvine as they have changed their ingredients suppliers due to pandemic issues. Many have suffered failure especially with laminated projects. I have contacted them and they assure me that they will rectify it but I would ask for a sample first. There are other powdered resin wood glue options in the UK

oh pipper....a very expensive mistake has just been made.

I just found that aerolite leaves a nice white glue line which isn't great....in ABW

What is the reason for this Casymite / Aerolite glue compared to say Titebond Pva?
Cascamite/Aerolite or any such powdered resin glues have a very long open time compared to PVA type glues. You need this when doing things like laminating that can potentially take well over 10 minutes to apply the glue and clamp it up.

oh pipper....a very expensive mistake has just been made.

I just found that aerolite leaves a nice white glue line which isn't great....in ABW
Ugh, that's not ideal. Funnily enough, last week I did a little experiment were I added food colouring to the glue just after mixing. It did what I expected it to (turned it fairy cake blue!) and didn't seem to affect the glue adversely. Maybe a dash of black colouring in the mix would sold your problem?

Back