Cascamite WBP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mead Camans

George
Reaction score
Hi all,

This is the first time posting on here for me and I have a question. Is anyone else really struggling to get hold of Cascamite? Specifically the Water and Boil Proof stuff? It's the main glue I use in my work and I'm pretty stuck without it. It's sold out everywhere I look at the moment. I'm guessing the issue is due to the pandemic in some way, obviously. Does anyone have any ideas where you might be able to get some? Or is it going to be more of a "wait and see" kind of thing?

Cheers!

I suggest you search one of the many posts on Cascamite, don't buy any until you have. There is a serious problem with it not setting.

Isn't that the stuff they made bombers with in WW2. didn't realise they still made it

I pretty much built a sailing dinghy using cascamite. It was recommended and used by the British boatbuilding school who run great woodworking courses btw. The dinghy has been sailed successfully for over a year & as far as I know, none of the boatbuilding school boats have fallen apart! I have had great success with it....just my experience, but still, worked well for me.

I too have used cascamite all my working time and never had any problem whatsoever even on antique pitch pine I guess if there are problems now it could be how its prepared or who is using it, just my two penny worth.

Phill

Edit:
Just looked Cascamite is still on sale and it shows it is made of the same as Aerolite, "Cascamite is a synthetic, urea-formaldehyde glue that generally comes in powder form for mixing on site." extract from Amazon sales page.

Last edited:
From the scuttlebutt I've seen, it appears that the original supplier of an integral chemical compund is not longer able to supply due to war/economics/pestilence (take your pick) and it now has to be sourced elsewhere and is no where near the same quality/purity etc and what you have been able to get from the start of the year as a finished product has basically been complete pap. Cascamite's makers appear to be using the ostrich approach to customer care regarding feedback.

Can't say more than that as I haven't been out the house nor in the workshop properly for about a year now and so if I had had any about all i could have done was sniff it (out of mind numbing boredom)

Isn't that the stuff they made bombers with in WW2. didn't realise they still made it
Mosquitos. They had wooden frames, balsa iirc. That's where the "Aero" bit came from.
I remember a chap being interviewed in one of the woodworking magazines 30+ years ago and being asked why he used Aerolite and his replying that if it was good enough to keep him in the air during the war it was good enough for his furniture.

Last edited:
... I guess if there are problems now it could be how its prepared or who is using it, just my two penny worth.
Phill
Edit:
Just looked Cascamite is still on sale and it shows it is made of the same as Aerolite, "Cascamite is a synthetic, urea-formaldehyde glue that generally comes in powder form for mixing on site." extract from Amazon sales page.
No, too many experienced people have had problems with it.

Aerolite is a much different glue - for one thing it needs a hardener whereas Cascamite doesn't.

No, too many experienced people have had problems with it.

Aerolite is a much different glue - for one thing it needs a hardener whereas Cascamite doesn't.

the one that Peter linked to doesn't seem to need anything other than the powder and water.

I hadnt realised there were problems with cascamite.....many thanks for the heads up on this thread, I was thinking of getting some for a job as its an easier clean up than PU.

Its just a basic urea formaldhyde glue -cascamite happens to be the domestic brand name.

I havent used it for years as went over to PU years ago for joinery.

interestingly I once visited a Spanish factory that made those curved wooden slats for beds (its all they made). And they used cascamite (well UF), but they added flour to it. basically they "cut it" with flour to save on cost but not so much that it reduced its strength.

the factory started out with logs, which they cut to lengths and steamed for veneering, pressed up these slats by the million.

The product (Aerolite One Shot) Peter linked to does not require a hardener and mixes just the same as the old Cascamite formula, for small quantity hobby? users the penalty is lack of retail outlets and increased cost to purchase direct.
But if you want long working time (20-30mins) and no joint creep there does not seem to be a realistic alternative.

I have also used cascamite for 30 years. Last year I stopped completely because I had one batch that would not mix properly and another batch that would not set. This was after they changed the formulation and supplier. How to destroy a well liked brand really quickly!

I go with Peter Sefton. Aerolite is terrific. The two parts are (1) a powder that you mix with water to a creamy paste. You spread this on on side of the joint, (2) a clear liquid (acetic acid I think) which you put on the other side of the joint. Good open time, extremely strong and waterproof. Like the man said, good enough for Mosquitos. I believe Cascamite is a lookalike of Aerolite rather than the other way round.

As for availability, it is readily available by mail order online.

Back