Cascamite WBP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My dad's favorite glue was Aerolite 306, I used to use it a lot in the boat trade. Its a good glue & economical if you use enough of it. If you dont use it up & it goes past its use by date its not so economical! Its still used for aircraft construction & i like using it for wooden masts & spars as its UV stable.
In my experience UF glues have a lifespan of approx 30 years after which they begin to fail, damp conditions can accelerate this.
I have seen early cold molded with uf (laminated) boats & quite a few glued clinker ones that were suffering from general failure everywhere.
Then epoxies such as West & SP systems became the norm. More versatile & stronger but with the big drawback that they are not UV stable & will go gingery & fail if exposed to strong sunlight.
A couple of years ago I used a two part liquid UF glue from Glues Direct for vacumn bagging veneer, it was very good but the shelf life was 4 months before it went off so i wont be using that again in a hurry!

In my business I used several 3kg tins of Sovereign One Shot per week. It's totally waterproof, fire proof, ntoxic, & mixes readily . As it's made from cows urine you could expect a reasonable consistency between different brands of urea formaldehyde but that's sadly not the case! I recently tried a tub of Cascamite which was very difficult to mix & took an eternity to cure - never again! Maybe it's another example of manufacturers 'improving' a perfectly good product and rendering it unusable!

Thanks for that I hope it is Worthtrying ha ha. I am happy enough with my PVA for furniture but just occasionally I have to do bits and pieces that will get wet and have used foaming gorilla glue, I have doubts about its strength (possibly unfounded) so I will try sovereign one-shot next time, I looked it up and basically you just mix up what you need for the next half hour, so could be a little on the wasteful side till you get used to it, thanks anyway. Ian

Resorcinol were the main opposition to Aerolite and Casco (Cascamite) in the US in the 40's. Same stuff, different maker. I have on the pc that's knackered unfortunately, a really good pamphlet from the main US makers of hide glue about why these newfangled UF glues still aren't as good as hide glue. will have to get that machine working at some point, lots of interesting old info on it

On the aeroplane side of things, I do remember an old RAF rigger telling me they used hide glue on the Hurricane for repairs and even on the Shackelton in the 80's up at RAF Kinloss.

I have just joined the forum to share my experience with the 'new' Cascamite. I have used the original product successfully for many years on outdoor projects and bought my last 1.5Kg tub in 2017. I immediately repackaged it into small (200g) containers and used the last of it a couple of weeks ago. A week ago I purchased another 1,5Kg tub from Amazon and like others, found that it failed to set, let alone cure fully, over a period of 2 days. I emailed Polyvine but did not receive a reply - hopefully Amazon may accept it as a return. Will give Aerolite One Shot a try.

I don't think Polyvine are doing very well atm. I used some Polyvine Wood Oil which I thought would be akin to Osmo etc. (it's advertised as sinking in and not leaving a surface coating) - it isn't, it's a varnish which leaves a very heavy skin which takes weeks to harden (looks and behaves much like a long oil varnish), and even then is soft enough to scrape off easily.

Following my earlier post re Yandles equivalent, I noticed from the photo on their site that the mixing instructions finished with...."stirring until smooth. One Shot is now ready to use." Call me a cynic, but it would appear to be the same product as this thread?????

Even more confused:unsure: Internet search brings up Cascamite One Shot and Aerolite One Shot! Are they the same? Can anybody clarify?

I have to say, having used the Aerolite One Shot for a number of glue ups now, I'm very pleased I made the switch. It's a super consistant product and it even seems to produce tighter glue lines than Cascamite, although maybe that's my imagination as I'm not sure how that's possible!? Big thanks to Peter Sefton for the recommendation. Saved my proverbial bacon.

Also, Polyvine are still producing some good finishes at least. I use the heavy duty wood varnish and it's ace.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back