Cascamite vs PVA's in hot weather...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbloke

Established Member
Reaction score
Following on from a recent thread about glues, I bought a big tub of Cascamite at Axminster the other week and have just used it to glue up a small dovetailed oak box with mitred corners and an inset oak panel for the top. In this hot weather (long may it continue [-o< ) it's been a pleasant experience to get something together and not have too worry too much that the glue is going to grab :twisted: and the whole job becomes immovable. I've still got the Everbuild D4 as well, but it's useful to have more than one adhesive in the sticky department armoury - Rob

Have you decanted the contents of the tub into smaller airtight receptacles? I found that the last third of the tub goes off quickly if you expose the contents to too much air. All depends on your usage rate of course.

I find that Cascamite can grab very quickly if you use rubbed joints, but I guess this is as much to do with external air pressure on a close joint as it is due to glue set.

CHJ":2tyu4k6j said:
Have you decanted the contents of the tub into smaller airtight receptacles? I found that the last third of the tub goes off quickly if you expose the contents to too much air. All depends on your usage rate of course.

I find that Cascamite can grab very quickly if you use rubbed joints, but I guess this is as much to do with external air pressure on a close joint as it is due to glue set.
Not yet Chas, but I have got two very large sachets of silica gel granules in the tub - Rob

Rob, I found it did not matter what I did to keep cascamite dry it seemed to time expire, I only buy small quantities and check the date stamp on the container. I was advised to do a strength check if it was greater that 6 months old, good stuff when it works though.

Interesting - maybe I've been lucky, but have just finished using a small jar of Cascamite decanted from a larger tub in 2006, according to the label and it seems to work fine. Crucial thing seems to be the air-dry glue ratio, and by using very small jars (the sort of thing you sometimes get in hotels with jam in them) very often the whole jar can be used for one job as soon as it's opened.

I currently keep mine in the airing cupboard seems ok so far, silica gel should be a good move.

newt":15x1qoww said:
I currently keep mine in the airing cupboard seems ok so far, silica gel should be a good move.
Smart move Pete :wink: ...may well do the same on the 'morrow. The 'shop (as you know) is pretty warm and dry but I think I'll do the same thing as you but I'll decant a small amount into a sealed jar (complete with more silica gel) for 'shop use and keep the bulk of it in the airing cupboard - Rob

Back