Cascamite not setting properly

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Peter Sefton":19b229g3 said:
Chas I will hunt out the paperwork and try and post it later but the One Shot is mixed and works in the same manor as old Cascamite.

Thanks' for the confirmation of the working time of One Shot Peter, that's what I need as I often have 48+ pieces to coat and wring together before clamping. Paperwork not critical to me for my simple hobby stuff, just needed the working time confirmation.

Was not convinced that I would get away with 15-20 mins. working time with acid activated Aerolite despite manufactures assurances, long distance memory remembers it as grabbing fairly quickly.

Thanks for all the info! Upon searching for OneShot google throws up lots of different brands including plain old cascamite from polyvine. Is there a reliable brand of OneShot I should consider?

Even with all these fancy new glues, when veneering, I still think you can not beat a pot of boiled Red Rum & Shergar's Olde Timey Sticky Stuff

Apologies. I thought that link was a recommendation specifically for veneering as I didn't see OneShot referenced on the website.

Halo Jones":2r332z9r said:
Apologies. I thought that link was a recommendation specifically for veneering as I didn't see OneShot referenced on the website.
Was this the similar product ?
https://www.adkwik.co.uk/one-shot-powde ... -wood-glue

Shame it's smallest portion is £50 delivered for us minimal users.
Pity mainstream retailers don't stock it.....
Andy

Mike Jordan":3jeko5si said:
Tote bond three is waterproof so why not? I've been using West epoxy, it's expensive but very reliable. I'm thinking of trying Aerolite in the future.

I use Aerolite for a strong waterproof glue and have had no problems. Good enough for Mosquitos under fire, works for me! OK I'm still on my first tin so I can't give stats.

Phil Pascoe":3megz4mq said:
Aerolite is a superb glue, although expensive - it did a good job keeping Mosquitoes in the air. It sets quite quickly but the hardener is applied to one side, the glue to the other so for many purposes it isn't difficult to use - they are not mixed as an epoxy. The hardener for Aerolite iirc is phosphoric acid - there used to be marketed a rapid hardener for Cascamite, which iirc was formic acid - if the hardener was mixed with the powder rather than put on the other side of the joint it would go iff in a couple of minutes. (I don't think Aerolite sets without the hardener whereas Cascamite obviously does.) I may have got the acids the wrong way around, but I don't think so (I googled, but keep getting referred to my own posts :D - either way, I tried both glues with both acids and they both set.

I think the hardener for Aerolite is acetic acid - smells like it anyway. No it does not set without it. I find it about 30-30 mins open time but, as you say, you have lots of time to apply the glue as it does not set until the surfaces are brought into contact.

Latest posts

Back