Carving knives

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunts777

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all just wondering what your views are on the best chip carving knives are in Uk? Any help greatly appreciated?

I don't know if it's the best but I'm using a Flexcut knife and can't fault it. Other makes that are widely available are are Pfeil, Mora and Kirschen to name three.

I think my favourite is by Henry Taylor Tools, so actually made in the UK. I also have a very nice one from Ben Orford. Both bought from Bristol Design, who always have a good choice of carving tools new and old. You need to visit the shop in person really but Bristol's not far for a day out.

I've never tried chip carving, so please feel free to dismiss this as the ramblings of the supremely uninformed.

The thing I find with knives in general that makes the most difference is handle comfort. Most have adequate blades (as long as they're the right general shape for the purpose), but a handle that fits your hand nicely does seem to make control and pleasure of using that much better, especially for something you may be using for some hours at a time. Handles do seem to be very 'personal'.

With that in mind, maybe Andy's suggestion of visiting a seller and trying a few might be a very good idea if at all possible.

I have a couple of mora ones and one from robin wood for spoon carving. the mora are ok, nice enough blades, ok handles. I would describe them as the mondeo of knives-perfectly ok, but you could spend more and get something better. not a bad way of spending your money whilst you work out what you prefer.

I haven't used the robin wood one enough to form an opinion yet.

hunts777":308yn8pk said:
Hi all just wondering what your views are on the best chip carving knives are in Uk? Any help greatly appreciated?

For chip carving, I think you need a knife with a very short blade, eg:
https://www.woodworkersinstitute.com/wo ... ing-guide/
ChipCarve-3.jpg

For general carving, some examples:
https://www.woodworkersinstitute.com/wo ... -round-up/

I don't think Henry Taylor make carving knives.

Having done a lot of knife chip carving, you can use any knife the key consideration is the length of projection when holding the knife when carving. It also goes without saying that it has to extremely sharp. The Pfeil chip carving "kerb" something, is quite good. For video on chip carving Murray Taylor is about the best you can get, he from North Wales. His vid will leave Wayne Barton's video standing .

I could not resist mentioning the following, which came to mind as a result of this thread ...

While not chip carving, per se, I have a few knives I purchased for spoon carving in Oxford, on a visit a few years ago. The store was Objects of Use.

These are made by a Swedish firm, Casstrom ...

Casstrom-knife.jpg

Casstrom-spoon-knife.jpg

They are beautiful quality.

Interestingly, Paul Sellers mentioned them in his blog later that year (2016).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Latest posts

Back