Carving gouge numbers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

That would work

Established Member
Reaction score
So I have a special picture frame to make to hold a Papal blessing. I am carving the recipients names into it. Got quarter sawn oak for it.
Now, I have carved letters before but smaller that the on this. The letters will be approx 55mm high. The font will be Roman with serifs. I recon I will need a gouge or two with a number 5 or 7 profile probably 9mm . Can anyone confirm this profile/ size is about right please?

As far as I know, there are (at least) two different numbering systems for woodcarving tools, but here's a link to one of them, from the Sheffield List, which I hope might help a bit;

https://d3h1zj156zzd4j.cloudfront.net/p ... ldlist.pdf

The gouge numbers of the different systems don't necessarily correlate; for example, Sheffield List gouges start at 3 (1 and 2 being straight and skew chisels), whereas Pheil and other continental makers list both straight and skew chisels as 1, and start their gouges at 2. That might be something to bear in mind depending on your preferred tool maker.

Latest posts

Back