Carved Green Man

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkeybiter

Established Member
Reaction score
A bit more carving, finally completed this Green Man for Mrs.M, it's taken up temporary residence in the kitchen.

It's Oak finished with Danish oil, a couple of coats all over, then a few more on the face to create a darker and more glossy appearance.

I find carving Oak a PITA, but the original plan was to hang this outdoors, so Lime was a no go.

All criticism welcome, I'm on a learning curve.

DSC_0089.jpg

DSC_0090.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0089.jpg
    DSC_0089.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 240
  • DSC_0090.jpg
    DSC_0090.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 240
Criticism? That's better than lots of work I've see for sale!
=D> Great stuff.

Beautiful, MB, beautiful.
I like Green Men. I once had a book about them, fascinating.
There was once an article in, I think, The Woodworker. The Green Man wasn't so much a carving as a collage of wooden oak leaves. I've often tried to find it, as I kept all my magazines for years, but eventually I threw out most of the older ones. I wish I could find it as I'd like to have a go. I can ssee one hanging on the front of my workshop, can't you?

BTW, how big is yours?

Thank you both for that, much appreciated.

Steve I think that sounds like it would be very effective, you'd need to cut a lot of leaves though. Have you got a scroll saw?
It would be nice to see some home grown adornments on your new w'shop.

Very nice indeed. How many hours would you reckon went in to that? Excuse the potentially daft question but how did you do the nose? As it protrudes more than the rest, did you take the excess off to reveal it or was it carved separately?

A lovely piece and the extra couple of layers on the face sets it off very nicely!

Nelsun, it's all one piece, so it was just the laborious process of chipping away far enough but not too far. I couldn't really estimate how long it took as I did a bit now and then.

shed9, it's 12.5" by 8.5".

Thanks for the nice comments.

That's a cracking, sorry wrong phrase, very good carving. You have managed some good detail in Oak. The eyes are top notch.
Keep it up.
xy

Very cool.

I suggest you hang it on the back of the bathroom door so it's always looking at you while you do your business

Thanks Geoff, I find the Oak bloody hard work, especially the detail with bits chipping off just when you thought you'd finished an area.

Thanks transatlantic, although I'm not sure I'll follow your suggestion, might put me off my sudoko!

That is better than I've seen in art galleries. fantastic 3d carving.
I'm going away to sulk now, and destroy all my pictures of my boxes.

Very nice work. I find your comments about oak interesting as it is my timber of choice, I can't get on with lime at all. I find it too fragile, perhaps I am heavy handed.

Bill

Really like it. I've always liked the green man so much so I have pieces around the garden and even a rather large tattoo. My only critique would be I have always associated the green man with oak leaves.

monkeybiter":1fw3euqz said:
All criticism welcome, I'm on a learning curve.

Blimey! That's superb work, and with Oak too, imagine how fantastic you are using Lime.

You are Grinling Gibbons and I demand my £5.

=D>

That is a really great work, particularly for someone who has not done very much before. I would be very proud of that and although the oak may crack, that may enhance the work over time. Keep it up and I look forward to the next item posted. Bo you carve by hand or do you have a motorised carver, in which case, what model.

Malcolm

Thanks all!

banjerbill, this is kiln dried and rather tough. When you get down to the level of carving protruding details it's not very cohesive and I find it can be difficult preventing bits crumbling/breaking off.
It's significantly easier doing the odd minor adjustment after the oil has been applied.

wallace, I think you're probably right, maybe it should be 'leaf man'.

Alexam, I carve by hand, very occasionally tapping the handle with a soft hammer [must turn a mallet] but mostly just pushing/slicing.

Hey Mike that's an excellent piece of work, you must be well chuffed. =D>

I trust it isn't a "selfie" though. :wink: :lol:

Bob

banjerbill, this is kiln dried and rather tough. When you get down to the level of carving protruding details it's not very cohesive and I find it can be difficult preventing bits crumbling/breaking off.
It's significantly easier doing the odd minor adjustment after the oil has been applied.

I agree dry oak is difficult to to carve but as you have proved not impossible. I tend to use green oak and keep it in a plastic bag between sessions, by the time the carving is finished it is more or less stable, I haven't had a carving distort or split so far.

Bill

Latest posts

Back