Carved Bowl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizer

Established Member
Reaction score
I saw this in a magazine and thought "I'll have a go at that, won't take long"

100_0439.JPG

Famous last words! But it was very enjoyable indeed. Chris (Waterhead37) helped me out quite a bit. I bought a piece of lime for the project but when I took it to Chris to do the bandsaw cuts we found that it had a large defect. Kindly Chris donated a new blank for the project. He also gave me some excellent tool and technique guidance.

It is something I will definitely do again.

100_0443.JPG

The wood is European Walnut (I think, Chris?) and I used a combination of carving tools, scrapers and spokeshaves to get the finished result. It has a few coats of 'Wood Wipe' which is a blend of nut and citrus oils and is 'food safe'.

It is a stocking filler for the missus, just need to get the others now! :oops:

Just a couple of WIP pics, must be more prepared next time!

000_0083.jpg

000_0084.jpg

Hmm My first gloat should be more obvious than that....

100_0448.JPG

Did I do it right Philly? :D :wink:

It's Chris's fault! :^o

Thanks again Chris! :wink:

Very nice - how long was "it won't take long.." ?

I fancy having a go at woodcarving next year - was it relatively easy? (All top tips gratefully received 8) )

Andrew

Hi WiZeR

Santa's promised me one of those Flexcut carving sets that Chris seems to despise :D , so I'll be having a go at carving next year too. I hope my first attempt comes out as good as yours.

Gill

Actual hours where very little... about 20hrs? maybe less. The long length of time from start to finish was just things getting in the way, etc

I'd recomend this as a good beginner project. Even a ham fisted oaf like me could get it reasonably good ;)

Thanks Guys, I'm allready thinking about the next one...

It turned out well Tom! And yes, it is a european walnut.

Gill,
I don't despise Flexcut chisels, I just think that their claim to be flexible so as to do the work of bent gouges as well as straights is baloney - they bend in the wrong place. They are nice thin steel (a definite plus in a carving chisel) and pre-sharpened to a good edge (both sharpness and shape).

I nice piece indeed

Waka":3f2or7q3 said:
we don't see enough hand carved projects on the forum.

Perhaps we should have a dedicated forum for carvers - I've tried to get my missus intrested in posting but she claims not to have the time!

Andy

Latest posts

Back