Carter stabilizer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

althegog

Reaction score
Could someone please advice me what type of carter stabilizer I could use with my Record BS300E bandsaw still got some Xmas money to spend šŸ˜€
Thanks Alan

I have a similar problem. I e-mailed Carter products and asked for a recommendation for my RP350 Sabre 14" bandsaw. This was the response:

'Thanks for contacting Carter Products on our Stabilizers. I am sorry to say, we do not have a Stabilizer for your particular saw. We do not see the Record bandsaw brand here in the US and we do not have a recommendation for you.'

I feel sure that their stabilizers would work on some RP bandsaws...The problem is finding out which stabilizers actually would work on which bandsaws...otherwise to take a 'punt' could be a very expensive mistake.

Meanwhile I carry on regardless as the stabilizer is on my 'wish list'...and Christmas is coming...

Cheers, Michael

I have the Record Power BS350S, and it is the fraternal twin of the Rikon 10-324. I think the Record Power Sabre 350 a closer twin of the Rikon 10-326. Rikon no longer distributes a 12-inch bandsaw, but the older 10-315 appears to be similar to the Record Power BS300E. It might be worthwhile finding the Rikon model that closely resembles your Record Power bandsaw to determine which Carter product will fit.

From the images available on the Internet, the major difference between the Rikon and Record Power saws, prior to the Sabre line, are the blade guides. The Sabre line appears to have the same blade guides as the 10-326. When I upgraded my BS350S to the Rikon blade guides, the upper guides were a perfect fit with no modifications. The lower guides required modifications to the frame, but work great and I don't regret the change.

MikeK...thank you for your input. I've sadly gone down the Carter Stabilizer 'rabbit hole' and tbh found the discussion quite interesting (need to get a life I guess). So, I have a 'ticket' into Record Power asking them about the stabilizer...doubt they will respond in a positive way, but I had to ask.

I am impressed by Steve Maskey's simple solution, and best of all it's sooooo cheap...love it.

I'm a sucker for woodworking tools and gadgets and sometimes resistance is futile...though the cost of some items can rein me in...shame that so much 'stuff' is only found in the USA - maybe UK can now get a post Brexit trade deal on tools and equipment? (let's not go there).

Oh...to althegog...my comments were not to derail your original request, I'm hopeful that you will get a definitive response to your question.

Cheers, Michael

I found Carter not very helpful, they also told me they wouldn't ship outside the US. In the end I telephoned and the engineer I spoke to was far more helpful. He emailed me drawings with measurements too..

ready mades are nice....
but not that diff to make.........
there's a couple of designs on the Fine Woodworking site....
these have retractable wheels for stability.........

Ah...pgrbff...that engineer was really helpful then...having the drawings with measurements would be invaluable in identifying the correct Carter Stabilizer for all of those bandsaws that are not on their 'official' list. Would be most helpful to this community too.

Cheers, Michael

I've had a response from RP re my query as to which Carter Stabilizer would fit my bandsaw...i.e. ' I have a Record Power RP350 Sabre 14" bandsaw (very nice it is too!). I would like to fit a Carter Stabilizer for the times I make bandsaw boxes. Have you any idea of which Carter Stabilizer would fit? '

The response was,

' I am sorry to say that we do not '

And to pgrbff...Thank you very much for for putting up those .pdf files...most informative. Did you go ahead and purchase one? (and if you did, for which machine?).

Cheers, Michael

I've had a response from RP re my query as to which Carter Stabilizer would fit my bandsaw...i.e. ' I have a Record Power RP350 Sabre 14" bandsaw (very nice it is too!). I would like to fit a Carter Stabilizer for the times I make bandsaw boxes. Have you any idea of which Carter Stabilizer would fit? '

The response was,

' I am sorry to say that we do not '

And to pgrbff...Thank you very much for for putting up those .pdf files...most informative. Did you go ahead and purchase one? (and if you did, for which machine?).

Cheers, Michael
Drawings may have to be removed as I didn't ask Carter for permission to publish them.
I haven't bought one yet, maybe the 2400, for this saw which is taking me forever to rebuild.

Attachments

• stripped bandsaw.jpg
    stripped bandsaw.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 5
Any bearing with a central grove will do the job, just needs fitting instead of the thrust bearing?

MikeK...thank you for your input. I've sadly gone down the Carter Stabilizer 'rabbit hole' and tbh found the discussion quite interesting (need to get a life I guess). So, I have a 'ticket' into Record Power asking them about the stabilizer...doubt they will respond in a positive way, but I had to ask.

I am impressed by Steve Maskey's simple solution, and best of all it's sooooo cheap...love it.

I'm a sucker for woodworking tools and gadgets and sometimes resistance is futile...though the cost of some items can rein me in...shame that so much 'stuff' is only found in the USA - maybe UK can now get a post Brexit trade deal on tools and equipment? (let's not go there).

Oh...to althegog...my comments were not to derail your original request, I'm hopeful that you will get a definitive response to your question.

Cheers, Michael
I believe that the Rikon 2 RIC 2 would fit but unfortunately they don't export to the UK.
šŸ˜± Alan

Ah well...I've managed without a stabilizer for some time now...:)...so I guess I'll just soldier on regardless.

Cheers, Michael

pgrbff
thats anice looking saw.....
they have a few here that style......will be looking in the future to up-grade mine....heres a few....
243345701_1631789707162535_2993293500845007578_n.jpg

196227783_4693409367354004_3716106789526461508_n.jpg

241686903_4550471428351370_3170486908486425187_n.jpg

the sensible thing would be o go for the more modern looking machine but I just love the old'un....
PS, all machines are under ā‚¬1,000 euros...

I have the Jet JWBS16 saw and have been try to source bearing guides since I purchase it. The 16ā€ utilises two discs, a dire system compared to the bearing setup supplied on the 14ā€ and 18ā€ saws.
Unfortunately, those donā€™t fit the 16ā€ and Carterā€™s donā€™t do a set despitethe saw being available in the states.

has anyone else found a decent guide set for the JWBS16?

Back