carroll tools drum sander

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simon carroll

Reaction score
Hello to all you would workers out there my name is Simon Carroll I’m interested to know how many of you used to know my dad
Bill Carroll with the quick change sending drum... due to the loss of my father sadly Carroll tools shutdown.. but things have changed and there is a chance it may reopen all I’m asking really is if there is any interest anymore for the drum Sanders and mini drums ??? Or even yes we knew your father would be nice as I know some of you may even know him personally..

I hope I’m not breaking any rules by posting this in here if so please let me know..

Simon Carroll

They are great pieces of kit and always sell secondhand for a good price on auction sites. I’m not aware of anything that’s of a similar quality available today.

I would like to wish you well with the project

Maybe contact Axminster? They have them listed as discontinued, maybe they can give you an idea of demand.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

Hi, I have a set of these I purchased in 2009. I don't use often but wouldn't be without them, I am not sure they would be a high volume sales product, but I would love to see them for sale again!
Good luck with your venture if you go ahead =D>

I've got three. two for the spindle and one for the pillar drill, excellent bits of kit,
I strongly consider there is a market if properly promoted

Nice to hear that you would like to reintroduce the sanders that your farther created they were highly thought of.
Personally I think that if it is possible for you to reintroduce them to the market of the same quality there would be a lot of interest you won't need to involve a large company who will want the most profit with the least risk.
Of

I have several of these that I have managed to purchase secondhand.

I did wonder what had happened to the company. The product seems to be universally liked- you can't say that about many products.

I have a single 75mm drum for my spindle moulder. I think the best feature is the use of your own sander sheets rather than the need to buy and stock sleeves.

If you are planning on a pneumatic one with a handle for use in an electric drill..........yeah, I'm interested. My old one is on its last legs.

Hi,

I have four of them, three three inch and a single one inch.

They are incredibly well made, well balanced and very effective. I have another Axminster drum sander which is unbalanced, cheaply made and not in the same league. I don't use that one!

If you restore them to production as a high quality item I would buy more smaller ones. However, I think marketing them in volume is going to be a challenge. I am fortunate to be able to pay for quality, but am not sure everyone is and they have to be handled to appreciate them so you need appropriate outlets.

Best of luck with the project, I sincerely hope that it succeeds. Whatever the outcome you should know that your dad's work is appreciated and valued by his customers.

Regards,

Colin

Strangely been looking today at some Carroll drums for my spindle moulder.

I agree with the comments up there ^ and would think there is a demand to reintroduce the name onto the market. If you go on any woodworking forum in any country in the world and ask which is the best sanding drum to get for a chucked or spindle machine the name Carroll will always come up with out fail every single time. You simply cannot buy that level of trust, brand loyalty and recognition. In today's climate I would be discussing this with other trusted names in regards to distribution. You already have brand presence, to team up with a well regarded disty like Lee Valley (for instance) you would get instant access to huge markets with minimal risk and outlay.

In response to the initial query, I see a market, I would carry on buying them and continue to recommend them.

Somebody has to be negative, and this time its me.
i have two of these bought from axminster (75 mm and 20 mm) about 2 years ago, and although brilliant at first, I have given up trying to replace the sandpaper. If there is a knack as to how to get the paper tight I'm afraid the instruction sheet was not included with mine.

The "cam lock" just does not work for me, and I have truly tried many times because they would be very well used if I could get the thing to hold tight.

Colin, in all seriousness, they were very good, untill the sandpaper wore out.
Try as I might, I can not get another piece of sandpaper to fit well on either of them.
The "flattened" tube appears to be not flattened enough.
I'll go surfing the tube to see if theres any instructions. I hadnt known the name of these. Maybe that info will help me get them back in service.

Yes from me.

Wanted one with a template profile bearing so for a guitar neck you could sand a profile from a template onto a 4" wide bit of stock that would be difficult on a router.

Here's what I mean, David Fletcher (amazing luthier) uses one here >
https://youtu.be/sBDlUTreI1M?t=1042

Only place to buy it is in the US, where shipping, import etc makes it too expensive.

I'd be chuffed if a UK company made one.

I've just watched a tube video and my locking pins are nothing like the one shown. Does anyone have a picture of the pin used on drill press sanders that I can see please? maybe I can modify or make something to allow me to use these again.

Here's an attempt at photographing the pin.

Carroll pin 1.jpg

The pin is 2.93" long and the hole in the drum is 3/8". The pin diameter is hard to measure due to the shape. I drew around it in that photo it has a hex recess for an allen key in the end and my outline is viewed from that end. Note the lead-in from radius to the flat on the left side. The pin is non-magnetic, am guessing a hard aluminium alloy. That would make sense for balancing as the body is alloy on a steel shaft.

This is a length of 10mm bar in the hole which is a good match on the fit of the pin so would be a good starting point to make one from. Am afraid I had a accident with the foam padding on that one.

Carroll pin 2.jpg

hope that helps

Colin

Attachments

• Carroll pin 1.jpg
    Carroll pin 1.jpg
    410.6 KB · Views: 443
  • Carroll pin 2.jpg
    Carroll pin 2.jpg
    908.3 KB · Views: 464
Yours is like the one in the video. Mine are nothing like that. They are soft white ali tube with a very minor flat on one end. they came with a bent bit of flat metal as a key.
I think the tube has rounded out because it will not catch on the sandpaper, it just keeps rotating.

I shall have to try to make new from something. I could definitely use them a lot if I could make them work.

I'll take a pic of one of mine tomorrow.

Mine is like yours, slightly squished ally tube. I suspect that this was a cost reduction measure over a cast or machined part in more recent production, though my drum is probably nearly 20 years old.

Latest posts

Back