Carpenters tool chest

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lurker

Le dullard de la commune
Reaction score
I am thinking of the ones that look like a suitcase with hinged lid.
Does anyone use these anymore?
Why were they once so common ? I guess they were an apprentice piece

You do see them around in antique shops down here in the South East occasionally. I have never seen anyone use one, (vans fitted out with removable power tool boxes!) but I have seen static tool cupboards quite commonly in hand workers workshops.

lurker":2ch6slwc said:
I am thinking of the ones that look like a suitcase with hinged lid.
Does anyone use these anymore?
Why were they once so common ? I guess they were an apprentice piece
They were. Week 5 of TOPS C&G. I've still got mine.
Suitcase shape very practical in terms of mobility - easy to carry up and down stairs etc, compared to more cube shaped trendy plastic containers.

Smashed my old one up a few months ago.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

ColeyS1":28gf5udx said:
Smashed my old one up a few months ago.

Yeah that is my dilemma, I have two and due to needing to downsize they have to go, but I hate the idea of destroying someone’s work.

Post a photo or two, Lurker. I'm sure you'd find people here to take them off your hands. I'd be interested, for a start.

I need to get into the habit of not keeping so much tat in the hope that one day it will get used.

ColeyS1":2lw8q0x4 said:
I need to get into the habit of not keeping so much tat in the hope that one day it will get used.

Tell me about it!!
I have the equivalent of four average garages as outhouses / workshops plus the loft.
Have great difficulty throwing anything away.
I am trying to reform :D

For example, yesterday I found a bucket full of springs from an old fashioned bed, I bet they have been in the back of the garage for 30 years!

MikeG.":1uwdsd12 said:
Post a photo or two, Lurker. I'm sure you'd find people here to take them off your hands. I'd be interested, for a start.

Anyone who wants to collect can have them!

lurker":25fc4kbi said:
For example, yesterday I found a bucket full of springs from an old fashioned bed, I bet they have been in the back of the garage for 30 years!

But those are useful for making light duty clamps - you just snip off as much of a loop as you need, expand the ends a bit and pop it over the work. Ideal for repairs to crossbanding on eighteenth century cabinets apparently... Don't tell me you don't need to be ready for a job like that! :wink:

AndyT":1876zs1s said:
lurker":1876zs1s said:

But those are useful for making light duty clamps - you just snip off as much of a loop as you need, expand the ends a bit and pop it over the work. Ideal for repairs to crossbanding on eighteenth century cabinets apparently... Don't tell me you don't need to be ready for a job like that! :wink:

I got brownie points for chucking them in the recycle bin :D

ColeyS1":1la7fqg6 said:

The solution is to have a wife who throws away anything that hasn't been used this week. Drives me nuts! Every time I want to make some Heath-Robinson invention, I need whatever she recycled the week before. We have had words about this a number of times...

Trainee neophyte":2utbm7qy said:
ColeyS1":2utbm7qy said:

The solution is to have a wife who throws away anything that hasn't been used this week. Drives me nuts! Every time I want to make some Heath-Robinson invention, I need whatever she recycled the week before. We have had words about this a number of times...

Stocks the first time, thumbscrews the second time, and all bets are off for any further breaches.

MikeG.":3dv1if9o said:
Trainee neophyte":3dv1if9o said:
ColeyS1":3dv1if9o said:

Stocks the first time, thumbscrews the second time, and all bets are off for any further breaches.

I see you have met my wife then. She is very enthusiastic when it comes to dishing out punishment.

Poor photo from a few years back but is this the sort of tool box you mean Jim?

68BAB115-BC1F-4BB2-8B5C-429F76C2FFBE.jpeg

It isn’t mine but belongs to an old retired woodworker I did quite a bit of work for a few years back, it looked well used but still worked.

Attachments

• 68BAB115-BC1F-4BB2-8B5C-429F76C2FFBE.jpeg
    68BAB115-BC1F-4BB2-8B5C-429F76C2FFBE.jpeg
    66.4 KB · Views: 154
Back