• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Carpenters tool chest

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

lurker

Le dullard de la commune
Reaction score
I am thinking of the ones that look like a suitcase with hinged lid.
Does anyone use these anymore?
Why were they once so common ? I guess they were an apprentice piece

AJB Temple

Finely figured
Reaction score
You do see them around in antique shops down here in the South East occasionally. I have never seen anyone use one, (vans fitted out with removable power tool boxes!) but I have seen static tool cupboards quite commonly in hand workers workshops.

Jacob

Pint of bass, porkpie, and packet of crisps please
Reaction score
lurker":2ch6slwc said:
I am thinking of the ones that look like a suitcase with hinged lid.
Does anyone use these anymore?
Why were they once so common ? I guess they were an apprentice piece
They were. Week 5 of TOPS C&G. I've still got mine.
Suitcase shape very practical in terms of mobility - easy to carry up and down stairs etc, compared to more cube shaped trendy plastic containers.

ColeyS1

Established Member
Reaction score
Smashed my old one up a few months ago.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

MikeG.

Established Member
Reaction score
lurker":2no1w3ro said:
.....Why were they once so common ?........
Because hand-tools don't take up a lot of space. They became redundant once power tools became a thing.

lurker

Le dullard de la commune
Reaction score
ColeyS1":28gf5udx said:
Smashed my old one up a few months ago.

Yeah that is my dilemma, I have two and due to needing to downsize they have to go, but I hate the idea of destroying someone’s work.

MikeG.

Established Member
Reaction score
Post a photo or two, Lurker. I'm sure you'd find people here to take them off your hands. I'd be interested, for a start.

ColeyS1

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to get into the habit of not keeping so much tat in the hope that one day it will get used.

lurker

Le dullard de la commune
Reaction score
ColeyS1":2lw8q0x4 said:
I need to get into the habit of not keeping so much tat in the hope that one day it will get used.

Tell me about it!!
I have the equivalent of four average garages as outhouses / workshops plus the loft.
Have great difficulty throwing anything away.
I am trying to reform :D

For example, yesterday I found a bucket full of springs from an old fashioned bed, I bet they have been in the back of the garage for 30 years!

lurker

Le dullard de la commune
Reaction score
MikeG.":1uwdsd12 said:
Post a photo or two, Lurker. I'm sure you'd find people here to take them off your hands. I'd be interested, for a start.
Anyone who wants to collect can have them!

AndyT

Established Member
Reaction score
lurker":25fc4kbi said:
For example, yesterday I found a bucket full of springs from an old fashioned bed, I bet they have been in the back of the garage for 30 years!
But those are useful for making light duty clamps - you just snip off as much of a loop as you need, expand the ends a bit and pop it over the work. Ideal for repairs to crossbanding on eighteenth century cabinets apparently... Don't tell me you don't need to be ready for a job like that! :wink:

lurker

Le dullard de la commune
Reaction score
MikeG.":cleotx4o said:
We're up in Desford regularly, but I'd want to see a photo beforehand, if you've got one.
I will dig them out of the loft dreckley

lurker

Le dullard de la commune
Reaction score
AndyT":1876zs1s said:
lurker":1876zs1s said:
But those are useful for making light duty clamps - you just snip off as much of a loop as you need, expand the ends a bit and pop it over the work. Ideal for repairs to crossbanding on eighteenth century cabinets apparently... Don't tell me you don't need to be ready for a job like that! :wink:
I got brownie points for chucking them in the recycle bin :D

Trainee neophyte

[Known Putin apologist ]
Reaction score
ColeyS1":1la7fqg6 said:

The solution is to have a wife who throws away anything that hasn't been used this week. Drives me nuts! Every time I want to make some Heath-Robinson invention, I need whatever she recycled the week before. We have had words about this a number of times...

MikeG.

Established Member
Reaction score
Trainee neophyte":2utbm7qy said:
ColeyS1":2utbm7qy said:

The solution is to have a wife who throws away anything that hasn't been used this week. Drives me nuts! Every time I want to make some Heath-Robinson invention, I need whatever she recycled the week before. We have had words about this a number of times...
Stocks the first time, thumbscrews the second time, and all bets are off for any further breaches.

Trainee neophyte

[Known Putin apologist ]
Reaction score
MikeG.":3dv1if9o said:
Trainee neophyte":3dv1if9o said:
ColeyS1":3dv1if9o said:

Stocks the first time, thumbscrews the second time, and all bets are off for any further breaches.
I see you have met my wife then. She is very enthusiastic when it comes to dishing out punishment.

Doug B

Shy Tot
Reaction score
Poor photo from a few years back but is this the sort of tool box you mean Jim?

68BAB115-BC1F-4BB2-8B5C-429F76C2FFBE.jpeg

It isn’t mine but belongs to an old retired woodworker I did quite a bit of work for a few years back, it looked well used but still worked.

Attachments