Carpenters tool box?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matmac

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys
I’ve not posted here for a long time. I’ve been mulling over my tool storage. I have a workshop but a lot of my work takes me out on site or to other people’s workshops. I am forever frustrated with the lack of organisation in my how I carry my hand tools. I’ve bought bags and totes gallor. Nothing has ticked all the boxes. So it’s time I make my own.
My spec is lightweight, enclosed with a draw or two on the outside so I don’t have to open it all up to get to anything and if possible ide like it to double as a step up/low bench.
So if anybody has some of there own boxes they have made I would love to see them thank you. One of my great inspirations came off a thread on this site long forgotten.
Cheers for taking the time.

What you are describing is a traditional carpenters tool box. Such as this Beginning Woodworking Part 2: Fall Front Wooden Toolbox
Normally the lock is a traditional morticed cupboard lock so that the top is as flat as possible and can be used to place timber for sawing.
Yes that’s it but I want the draw at the bottom so I don’t have to open the lid to get to it. Do you think that is strong enough to stand on? I’m a big lad 😁

Yes that’s it but I want the draw at the bottom

Drawer.

So insert a false floor and put a drawer or two in underneath.

.......Do you think that is strong enough to stand on? I’m a big lad 😁

Make it of thicker timber.

I'd also move the catches to the sides, and have some sort of recessed or folding handle to leave a flat top for working on.

or you could go the whole hog.....
and make one of these.....but you would never carry it ......
Studley-Toolbox-1.jpg

or if you lived in a better climate.....with no travellers.....
truck-wallslide.jpg

the Scottish water board has just got rid of a few Toyota 4x4's like that.....
I just missed one....oh pooo........

Maybe not exactly what you're after but for site work I use this. Made from offcuts, base wider than top for stability, knee-height - useful for knealing on the wood you are cutting, tool-storage and a good step-up - make sturdy enough to support your weight! You could always upgrade it and put drawers in?

Image00001.jpg

I made this a few years ago out of recycled Lundia shelving.

toolbox1.jpg
toolbox2.jpg

It suits me fine. If you want drawers accessible from the outside, you'll need to find some way of securing them so they don't slide out accidentally. I've not found it a nuisance to open the box to get access. Make it too big and you won't be able to lift it.

Pete

I had a suitcase type until I grew tired.of laying it down in the car boot and have the tools all over the place. This two part box stands upright and keeps things tidyimage.jpegimage.jpeg

or you could go the whole hog.....
and make one of these.....but you would never carry it ......View attachment 92256

or if you lived in a better climate.....with no travellers.....
View attachment 92257
the Scottish water board has just got rid of a few Toyota 4x4's like that.....
I just missed one....oh pooo........
Ha some moved in near us lots of sheds have been raided oddly enough

Maybe not exactly what you're after but for site work I use this. Made from offcuts, base wider than top for stability, knee-height - useful for knealing on the wood you are cutting, tool-storage and a good step-up - make sturdy enough to support your weight! You could always upgrade it and put drawers in?

View attachment 92259
I have one of these, castors on one end and wider feet at the other. Vise at one end.

I then made an apprentice tool box to fit in the gap.

Cheers James

Back