Carpenters Framing Square

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MikeG.":3boovrdn said:
Something cheap, and somewhere near square. They're adjustable.
I think I know what you mean, read something. You mean actually bashing them into square?

You use a punch, and bash a ding or two near the innermost corner if you want the two legs to open up, and near the outer corner if you want them to close up. Chances are you'll find one in the shop that is spot on anyway, but you might have to look through 3 or 4 first. Don't take any notice of the scale on them.......no-one uses them as a ruler, so the cheapest painted-on numbering is just fine.

MikeG.":1lmutl2y said:
You use a punch, and bash a ding or two near the innermost corner if you want the two legs to open up, and near the outer corner if you want them to close up. Chances are you'll find one in the shop that is spot on anyway, but you might have to look through 3 or 4 first. Don't take any notice of the scale on them.......no-one uses them as a ruler, so the cheapest painted-on numbering is just fine.
OK cheers for that.

MikeG.":3pv4y4qp said:
So to check it for square, use the same method of checking a combination square is accurate?

A straight edge (countertop, for instance), and a ruler, is all you need. Put the square against the straight edge and mark its position with the ruler. Carefully take the square away without disturbing the ruler, flip it over, and slide it up to the ruler carefully. Stop a gnat's away from it and check if the gap is parallel.

MikeG.":bbzgin1s said:
A straight edge (countertop, for instance), and a ruler, is all you need. Put the square against the straight edge and mark its position with the ruler. Carefully take the square away without disturbing the ruler, flip it over, and slide it up to the ruler carefully. Stop a gnat's away from it and check if the gap is parallel.
Yes I thought that was the way to do it.
Thanks.

That's not what I know as framing squares, Logger. They're normally something like 18" x 24". Yours sound more like speed square sizes.

Back